I just taught myself to knit today!

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Glad you are enjoying. :D

There should be a set of double-pointed sock needles in there. Beware, the socks were the thing that prompted me to get rid of everything.

The only thing I could ever do was simple single-stitch crochet, scarves only. :p

And sorry again about the condition of the book. Foster puppies like to nom nom on books...
If you're missing any vital information, blame this creature:
1338_km1.jpg

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BBB, I am so jealous! I just cant get the hang of it. I crochet in the dark or watching a movie and rarely look at my project, but knitting.. I think I have a mental block. I have tried books, videos and exhausted friends to the point of cursing who tried to 'teach' me. My sweet husband picked it up just by watching a friend try and teach me and there for a while would curse if I even said the word to him. Oh, wait.. just tried it, he still curses :lol:

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Rebecka said:
BBB, I am so jealous! I just cant get the hang of it. I crochet in the dark or watching a movie and rarely look at my project, but knitting.. I think I have a mental block. I have tried books, videos and exhausted friends to the point of cursing who tried to 'teach' me. My sweet husband picked it up just by watching a friend try and teach me and there for a while would curse if I even said the word to him. Oh, wait.. just tried it, he still curses :lol:
:yuckyuck

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I learned to knit and crochet very young. Knitting has fallen to the wayside and crochet is much easier for me. But a friend of mine brought me a gift she found at an estate sale. I have yet to try it out but I'll post a picture so you can see. I think this might be where the term Cable Knit came from.

The case is vinyl but looks like tapestry. It's a Sears knitting needle set. Has needles, jumpers and something about cords you screw to the needles. I have yet to read the directions and try it out. I think It would take some time. Sound familiar to anyone???

333_img_1651.jpg

For now I will stick to my Knifty Knitter I think.

gina

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
That kit looks very interesting! (And daunting!)

Ooohhh, double pointed sock needles, I see them! I had no idea what they were for.

Occam's package included all sorts of needles including some honkin' big a$$ knitting needles that only the Jolly Green Giant can fit into his hands! They should be called knitting "cylinders with points".

I'm having all sorts of fun though experimenting with everything. I have already knitted and unraveled about 4 partial scarves. I'm really getting the hang of it! :p

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Tankshill- I think the cords make each size needle into circular needles! I adore these needles because when you take a break, you can shove your work onto the cord, and not worry that your CAT is going to pull apart your project. Btw, he has no interest in the yarn itself. I only buy the bamboo needles (plastic and metal are too slippery for me) and he likes to chew on them. :/

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
YES! I was having trouble with slippery needles too! I constantly had to apply hand lotion so the metal knitting needles would stop slipping out of my hands etc. I highly doubt if it is proper form to use your shoulders and chin when knitting with metal needles, but I found myself improvising at times. :p

Henny, I have a wonderful thorn tree (not sure what it is) out back. The thorns are about two inches long...I'm betting they would make wonderful sewing needles...hmmm...

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
YES! I was having trouble with slippery needles too! I constantly had to apply hand lotion so the metal knitting needles would stop slipping out of my hands etc. I highly doubt if it is proper form to use your shoulders and chin when knitting with metal needles, but I found myself improvising at times. :p

Henny, I have a wonderful thorn tree (not sure what it is) out back. The thorns are about two inches long...I'm betting they would make wonderful sewing needles...hmmm...
When I worked at Joann's I would constantly use pencils to show people how I knit. When I do cables I never use the special bent cable needle, just a spare double pointed needle. You can use whatever you want!

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BBH---Congrats to you & your new talent.......I'm so jealous. I've never learned to knit but have always wanted too. I do know how to crochet & used to all the time. It was great crocheting a blanket in the winter cause it would keep me warm as I worked on it. I've had to give it up though cause my hands would hurt from gripping the hook & yarn.
Is knitting any easier on the hands? If so, maybe I'll have to try it.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
I think she means more than one double pointed needle. I failed miserably at socks myself. I can knit in a circle easy enough, and do the heel, but turning the gusset is impossible for me. This is coming from me, though, who needs someone to walk me through it in slow motion. Also, I learned a different knitting style than most learn. (though I love it)
:gig I'm really good at cuffs.....