I just taught myself to knit today!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cool on you! :clap
Mom & granny taught me crochet and I can manage a lot of simple stuff, scarves, afgans, hats, the occasional mitten or anything made out of a granny square (my favorite!). My granny taught herself with a found crochet needle and thick sewing thread. She makes the most beautiful lace.
But like a lot of others I see, knitting just escapes me. Even with video.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Sounds like I need to look into crochet too.
Now, if you figure that out, could you teach me? I have been trying for years with help and I just can't get it...

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I find crocheting easier then knitting, and faster too. I really like the look of knitting, especially lacework and cabling. Crocheting comes in handy if you forgot about a present for someone, you can make a scarf in an evening. Yay for cheap Lion Brand Homespun yarn! It doesn't show mistakes.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
I find crocheting easier then knitting, and faster too. I really like the look of knitting, especially lacework and cabling. Crocheting comes in handy if you forgot about a present for someone, you can make a scarf in an evening. Yay for cheap Lion Brand Homespun yarn! It doesn't show mistakes.
That's what 99% of people I know tell me. My mom and I are missing a crochet gene or something. Neither of us is capable of learning!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
update: I have 4 more stitches under my belt now! I learned how to knit and purl, "stockinette", reverse stockinette, "seed" and "moss". I also learned how to bind off.

I have a nice sage green, wool "garter stitched" scarf almost finished. (Garter stitching is just all basic "knit" stitches.) I also have another scarf that I started using "stockinette" stitching (knits and purls).

I keep a "sampler" scarf next to me to practice all the different stitches. (It is polyester, so I can make a mistake without freaking out.)

The (long) knitting needles were very hard to get used to on the first day. I was using my chin, my chest, ANYTHING to help me manage the needles.

Now I just use my hands. (I almost look like a pro!)

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Congratulation! You are on your way to an addiction that will fill your house with yarn for future projects, and file cabinets with patterns that you will do some day. As well as at least 6 half-finished projects at any given time so you can work on whatever suits your fancy. :cool:

Now you have to learn to spin!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks Valgrandmom! ;)

I have 3 unfinished projects at the moment and for the first time in my life I am praying for every day to be a rainy one! :lol:

I am sooo looking forward to making socks! :D