I now have a cider press.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Actually, I wanted to know what Bee would be serving us, Tallman, as we process her apples!

We opened a jar of home-canned spaghetti sauce and had it on whole wheat noodles. Would've been homemade noodles, the flour was ground and ready, but I was distracted by the baby goat this weekend....we also had a colorful coleslaw made from rutabaga, carrots, broccoli, pineapple, and homemade mayo. Mmmmm......

Your turn...

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Great score Tallman, I was hoping to get one as we are planting 3 apple trees this next month. Hopefully I can get one before they really start putting all the apples on in a few yrs.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Actually, I wanted to know what Bee would be serving us, Tallman, as we process her apples!

We opened a jar of home-canned spaghetti sauce and had it on whole wheat noodles. Would've been homemade noodles, the flour was ground and ready, but I was distracted by the baby goat this weekend....we also had a colorful coleslaw made from rutabaga, carrots, broccoli, pineapple, and homemade mayo. Mmmmm......

Your turn...
All we had was another bowl of homemade gruel. It was a nice gray color because that's the way the wash water comes out. :idunno

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
freemotion said:
....we also had a colorful coleslaw made from rutabaga, carrots, broccoli, pineapple, and homemade mayo. Mmmmm......

Your turn...
Could you possibly post your recipe for this in the recipe section? I've never heard of rutabaga in slaw and I am a huge rutabaga lover! :drool

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'll post it here for you, and in the recipe section. I never measured anything, so bear with me on that.

I always make a huge batch, because it is so yummy! I am allergic to cabbage, so I make it with rutabaga. Interestingly, I can eat homemade sauerkraut that I made with whey and salt. I suspected I would be able to, so I made some this fall. Unfortunately, I hate sauerkraut! But I have a bit now and then for the health benefits.

Anyways, here is what I do:

1 lb each peeled rutabaga, carrots, brocolli crowns
1 large can of crushed pineapple (15 oz?)
Mayo
Salt and pepper to taste

With the shredding blade in my food processer, I shred maybe a pound of peeled rutabaga and a pound of carrots. (Actually, I always make double that, but we eat unreasonable amounts here, and the dog loves it, too!)

With the chopping blade, I finely chop about a pound of broccoli crowns. Works best if you do the flowers separately from the chunky stems. Just trim the tougher bottom part of the stems and feed them to the goats. :D

Mix thoroughly in a big mixing bowl, one much too big, trust me on this one. Those broccoli bits love to escape.

Add a 15 ounce can of crushed pineapple with the juice.

Spoon in a few big globs of mayo, preferrably homemade, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir thoroughly, and add more mayo as needed.

If you like a less juicy coleslaw, drain the pineapple first. We love it juicy. The carrots will color the juice orange. If you are not off sugar yet, this may not taste as sweet as you are used to. Get used to real food ;) , or add a bit of stevia to the first few batches.

I decided to add some beets last summer, and ended up with pink coleslaw! :sick

We will eat this in 20 oz bowl with lunch and supper until it is gone! Talk about cholesterol-lowering power!

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey sylvie,

Don't you want my recipe for gruel? :(

When I make it, I don't measure anything either.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Gruel????? OH, MY!!! Its been soooooo very long since I had gruel! :) :love Brings back suchgood memories...... :sick :he :barnie :hit :smack :rant :duc

and might I add.... :sick