I THINK I SCREWED UP MY METABOLISM

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello all!

I realize none of you "know me" but I feel like I know many of you. You see, I have been lurking here for WEEKS and read some amazing stories and feel like I really do know you all, so please bear with me.

First, a bit of history.

I used to be "that guy". I NEVER wore a coat in the winter. I was (honestly) fine down to the teens (F*) in jeans and short sleeved T-Shirt as long as the wind wasn't blowing... BUT I weighed 300 LBS at 5'11".

I got tired of wheezing every time I had to walk very far or up hill, so I changed my diet and began long distance bicycle riding. Cut down to around 2300 Cal a day and rode usually 3-4 times a week for minimum or 40 miles a day.

This lead to a 45 lb weight loss in a year (sounds good, huh?).

But now I get downright cold if it drops below 60* and wear a light jacket while sitting at my desk at work in an office that stays in the low 70's.

I am soooooo confused! I thought weight loss would make me feel better (and it has in most areas) but this just came out of nowhere.

Now, on top of that, it was a BAD year in 2010. Not to bore you too much with details, the highlights are:

Had to take a 40% paycut to stay employed
Found out my wife was cheating on me (currently in divorce mode)
Filed bankruptcy

All within about a 3 month timeframe (see why I told you I consider you all my friends? Kind of TMI I imagine!).

So any ideas?

I do realize that some days I am depressed but honestly don't think I "suffer from depression" as some say. I am a no pill kind of guy and am honestly doing OK right now (My children are SO supportive to me! Bless them!). And of a firm mind that people SHOULD experience depression, anger, anxiety, etc as a normal part of life as long as it's not chronic. I certainly FEEL for some of you and am very inspired by your courage to not only share your lives with "strangers" but your inner strenght and courage! you are an inspiration!

OK, I'll stop rambling now as I'm sure no none wants to read a novel from a "new guy" they don't really know anything about.

In a nut shell, I am looking for a way to not be so cold these days. (Could have just said that without all the other stuff, huh? HA!)

Thank you for your time and hope to be around here for a long time!

Thank you,

Tom

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
What kind of food are you typically eating?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
navajo001 said:
And of a firm mind that people SHOULD experience depression, anger, anxiety, etc as a normal part of life as long as it's not chronic.
Hi Tom! :frow

I'm in the brain-cooties club and I totally agree with your statement.

One thing you might find interesting is that among my bipolar friends, we have noticed a (perceived) drop in body temperature at the beginning of, and during a depressed episode.

We keep the temperature at 60 degrees during the day and I do get chilly sometimes. Then I go wash the dishes. Silly, but it works for just cold hands and for depression.

I think it is time you come to terms with the fact that you are not physically the same person you were. I don't think it is something you need a "remedy" for, but to be conscious off and do what you have to to stay comfortable.

I get colder in big buildings or offices because of the ventilation. There is just so much air moving through them! Are you in a situation where you can close the vents a little bit, or close a door to slow air flow?

And :welcome

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Have you had your thyroid checked? I'm always cold as well and the doctor checked that.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My second thought (after what WZ asked) is that you need to get on a plane and fly north for a few hundred miles..... :p Single digits here tonight! Northern VA will seem balmy after a few days up north! :lol:

See how fast you become family here? :welcome

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Well, let's see... I'll give you a run down of a typical day:

Breakfast:
Steecut oats with 1 TBS raisins, 1 TBS pecans, 1 TBS Honey, splash of reduced fat soy milk. Water to drink. (Also take Metamucil in the am.)

Midmorning snack:
Almonds or apple

Lunch:
3 oz baked chicken, 1 TBS Parm cheese, 1 TBS Creamy Caesar dressing, 1 cup shredded lettuce, 1 "Flatout" flatbread wrap with water to drink.

Evening Snack:
Cold baked chicken breast and some potato chips (I know...)

Dinner:
Stir fry chicken and red bell pepper with cooked white rice and tea or water to drink.

Thank you so uch for your time!

Tom

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:D

You folks are just THE BOMB! :lol:

I was thinking about dropping the soy too as I have been reading a LOT here. Shouldn't too hard as I don't really like it too much!

Thanks for the warm welcome! It really means a lot.

I agree that I am not the same person I used to be and getting older as we speak!

Just in case it matters, I am 45.

I agree it has a lot to do with perspective! It was down into the single digits here for a while a couple of weeks ago and today (in the 40's) felt wonderful!

As for closing vents, unfortunately no. I tried taping it shut but the pressure is too much and it just blew the tape off. I thought about the window foam sprayed int it! :lol:

I just started (tongiht) taking ACV and Vit D supp to see if that will help the *blah days* and my aches and pains.

I have not had my thyroid checked (yet). I really don't like going to the Dr. not affraid or anything, just seems like a real bother. Yeah, I am also THAT guy! :rolleyes:

Thank you all!

Tom

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
YIKES!!!! Calorie restriction AND soy. No wonder your metabolism is a wreck. At 5'11" and a man, you should be eating WAY WAY WAY more food. Your body is in starvation mode, especially if you are exercising.

My advice is to add LGI veggies and go for 12 servings a day....anything leafy, broccoli, summer squash, green beans, salad veggies, carrots (yes, carrots), turnip, rutabaga, etc. Not peas (yes pea pods), potatoes, corn, dry beans. Those are carb servings. Sweet potatoes and winter squash in moderation, also carb servings.

Add MORE MEAT with the fat. Chicken with the skin ON, for example. Your body needs the fat and salt to properly utilize the protein.

Ditch the soy, eliminate all white flour, sugar, rice, etc. Increase meat and veggies. Ditch the soy. Did I mention to ditch the soy?????

Just my humble opinion! You asked! :p

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
navajo001 said:
Wifezilla said:
Well, let's see... I'll give you a run down of a typical day:

Breakfast:
Steecut oats with 1 TBS raisins, 1 TBS pecans, 1 TBS Honey, splash of reduced fat soy milk. Water to drink. (Also take Metamucil in the am.)

Midmorning snack:
Almonds or apple

Lunch:
3 oz baked chicken, 1 TBS Parm cheese, 1 TBS Creamy Caesar dressing, 1 cup shredded lettuce, 1 "Flatout" flatbread wrap with water to drink.

Evening Snack:
Cold baked chicken breast and some potato chips (I know...)

Dinner:
Stir fry chicken and red bell pepper with cooked white rice and tea or water to drink.

Thank you so uch for your time!

Tom
Run away from that soy ASAP!!
Look for a source for real whole milk and cream.
www.realmilk.com
Meanwhile, add butter and whole milk from the store to your oats.

More veges for sure.
Brown rice instead of white.

And above all, be aware that calorie restriction will really tank the endocrine system.

Find out what your basal body temp is.