I THINK I SCREWED UP MY METABOLISM

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Where on earth is Sally? Oh, SAAAAALLLLLLLY!!!! Yoohoo, Sally!!! BBH!!! She is gonna jump for joy when she sees the St B in your avatar.

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
YIKES!!!! Calorie restriction AND soy. No wonder your metabolism is a wreck. At 5'11" and a man, you should be eating WAY WAY WAY more food. Your body is in starvation mode, especially if you are exercising.

My advice is to add LGI veggies and go for 12 servings a day....anything leafy, broccoli, summer squash, green beans, salad veggies, carrots (yes, carrots), turnip, rutabaga, etc. Not peas (yes pea pods), potatoes, corn, dry beans. Those are carb servings. Sweet potatoes and winter squash in moderation, also carb servings.

Add MORE MEAT with the fat. Chicken with the skin ON, for example. Your body needs the fat and salt to properly utilize the protein.

Ditch the soy, eliminate all white flour, sugar, rice, etc. Increase meat and veggies. Ditch the soy. Did I mention to ditch the soy?????

Just my humble opinion! You asked! :p
Yes, I DID ask and am greatful for the response!

You mean after ALL THESE YEARS, I finally got the hang of baking homemade WW, Sourdough, and White bread, now you want me to give them up? OH THE HUMANITY! :lol:

OK, the soy is out! Not going to really miss it.

I must admit though that I haven't "exercised" in a few months (No motivation) and have put a bit of the wieght right back on. Funny thing, it dodn't go back on where it originally came off...it ALL went around my belly! WHAT THE HECK?!?!?!

I guess my grandmother was right, "Getting old is NOT for wimps. Put on the Big Girl Panties and deal with it!" HA!

i DO love me some veggies! But I have a bad habbit of drowning them in Lite Ranch dressing. It seems like I am sometimes my own worst enemy!

Thank you for your time and input!

Tom

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
freemotion said:
YIKES!!!! Calorie restriction AND soy. No wonder your metabolism is a wreck. At 5'11" and a man, you should be eating WAY WAY WAY more food. Your body is in starvation mode, especially if you are exercising.

My advice is to add LGI veggies and go for 12 servings a day....anything leafy, broccoli, summer squash, green beans, salad veggies, carrots (yes, carrots), turnip, rutabaga, etc. Not peas (yes pea pods), potatoes, corn, dry beans. Those are carb servings. Sweet potatoes and winter squash in moderation, also carb servings.

Add MORE MEAT with the fat. Chicken with the skin ON, for example. Your body needs the fat and salt to properly utilize the protein.

Ditch the soy, eliminate all white flour, sugar, rice, etc. Increase meat and veggies. Ditch the soy. Did I mention to ditch the soy?????

Just my humble opinion! You asked! :p
Sorry, I got to disagree :)
You need about 100 to 150 grams of carbs actually.
Just choose well where they come from, and spread them out.
Let your body heal.

Low carb has been traced to low body tempature.
It will work well for some people ( :frow Wifezilla) but if your endocrine system has tanked, its not working.

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks[/quote said:
Run away from that soy ASAP!!
Look for a source for real whole milk and cream.

Meanwhile, add butter and whole milk from the store to your oats.

More veges for sure.
Brown rice instead of white.

And above all, be aware that calorie restriction will really tank the endocrine system.

Find out what your basal body temp is.
Soy is gone. I dumped it down the drain!

As for Basal temp, I haven't done that. My thermometer broke and havent bought a new one yet. Will do that.

Whole milk might be a challenge. I'll definitely check the link you gave.

Thanks!

Thanks!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
more fat!! too little fat lets you get cold. you have nothing real to burn :)

drop the carbs.

more fresh greens and other veggies.

:D

welcome! nice to meet you :)

isn't this the most fun group to ask for opinions???

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, no, I don't mean low carb. I am not a low carber in the Atkins way. I am low carb compared to the typical American diet and the food guide pyramid or whatever drivel they are teaching now.

If all those veggies are eaten, there will be a lot of carbs there. Then for a man who wants to lose weight, the average carb servings should be no more than four, along with two pieces of fruit a day (more carbs.) So a carb serving would be a half cup of beans (no sugar, forget the canned baked beans) or lentils or peas, one slice of whole wheat bread (the real stuff, like Alvarado Street Bakery sprouted grain breads or Ezekiel bread), a half cup of yam or winter squash, etc. You should easily get 100-150 g carbs with that.

Avoid anything labeled lite, diet, low-fat, low-carb, 100 calorie, etc. Loaded with chemical crap or even sugar. Stop counting calories, period. All calories are not created equal. All carbs are not created equal. You want to prevent spikes in your blood sugar levels and the accompanying insulin response. If you do this, you will lose the dangerous abdominal fat FIRST, not last.

My dh was in a study (one of the researchers was a client of mine) on the Transitions Lifestyle System and he lost 6" off his waist in 11 weeks. The results of the study indicated that there was no muscle loss like in other "diets" and that abdominal fat is targeted.

One of the important concepts is to eat nutrient-dense foods and plenty of them so that your body does not go into fat-conserving starvation mode. Give your body a flood of nutrients and good food and it will switch into fat-burning mode, "knowing" that there is plenty of food available and it is safe to burn-burn-burn all those calories coming in.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No dietary recommendations on my part, just wanted to say Hi :frow and :welcome !

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Oh, no, I don't mean low carb. I am not a low carber in the Atkins way. I am low carb compared to the typical American diet and the food guide pyramid or whatever drivel they are teaching now.

If all those veggies are eaten, there will be a lot of carbs there. Then for a man who wants to lose weight, the average carb servings should be no more than four, along with two pieces of fruit a day (more carbs.) So a carb serving would be a half cup of beans (no sugar, forget the canned baked beans) or lentils or peas, one slice of whole wheat bread (the real stuff, like Alvarado Street Bakery sprouted grain breads or Ezekiel bread), a half cup of yam or winter squash, etc. You should easily get 100-150 g carbs with that.

Avoid anything labeled lite, diet, low-fat, low-carb, 100 calorie, etc. Loaded with chemical crap or even sugar. Stop counting calories, period. All calories are not created equal. All carbs are not created equal. You want to prevent spikes in your blood sugar levels and the accompanying insulin response. If you do this, you will lose the dangerous abdominal fat FIRST, not last.

My dh was in a study (one of the researchers was a client of mine) on the Transitions Lifestyle System and he lost 6" off his waist in 11 weeks. The results of the study indicated that there was no muscle loss like in other "diets" and that abdominal fat is targeted.

One of the important concepts is to eat nutrient-dense foods and plenty of them so that your body does not go into fat-conserving starvation mode. Give your body a flood of nutrients and good food and it will switch into fat-burning mode, "knowing" that there is plenty of food available and it is safe to burn-burn-burn all those calories coming in.
Whew!! I think we need to coin a new term :lol:
Free, you been talking to Matt Stone?

We need to get him to buy a copy of Nourishing Traditions!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Well, there is no such thing as an essential carb. Any glucose the few organs in your body that require it is made from protein. While some people can tolerate a higher carb intake, most people function best around 50g of carbs/day or less. Any more than that and you are triggering a high insulin release and causing inflammation (among other things).

Good fats are really needed. And by that I mean pastured butter, non-hydrogenated lard, olive oil, and coconut oil. Also toss any corn oil or canola. Bad stuff.

One thing for sure we can agree on...whole milk good......soy bad :D

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
more fat!! too little fat lets you get cold. you have nothing real to burn :)

drop the carbs.

more fresh greens and other veggies.

:D

welcome! nice to meet you :)

isn't this the most fun group to ask for opinions???
But I have a LOT of fat to burn! :lol:

I have to admit, that especially in the winter, i don't eat as many greens as I shoud (working on that!).

I need deprogrammed. What fats are "Good"?

Very nice to meet you too!

Yes, this is an awesome group (And I NEVER use that word as I am too old! :D)

Tom

Latest posts