I THINK I SCREWED UP MY METABOLISM

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Oh, no, I don't mean low carb. I am not a low carber in the Atkins way. I am low carb compared to the typical American diet and the food guide pyramid or whatever drivel they are teaching now.

If all those veggies are eaten, there will be a lot of carbs there. Then for a man who wants to lose weight, the average carb servings should be no more than four, along with two pieces of fruit a day (more carbs.) So a carb serving would be a half cup of beans (no sugar, forget the canned baked beans) or lentils or peas, one slice of whole wheat bread (the real stuff, like Alvarado Street Bakery sprouted grain breads or Ezekiel bread), a half cup of yam or winter squash, etc. You should easily get 100-150 g carbs with that.

Avoid anything labeled lite, diet, low-fat, low-carb, 100 calorie, etc. Loaded with chemical crap or even sugar. Stop counting calories, period. All calories are not created equal. All carbs are not created equal. You want to prevent spikes in your blood sugar levels and the accompanying insulin response. If you do this, you will lose the dangerous abdominal fat FIRST, not last.

My dh was in a study (one of the researchers was a client of mine) on the Transitions Lifestyle System and he lost 6" off his waist in 11 weeks. The results of the study indicated that there was no muscle loss like in other "diets" and that abdominal fat is targeted.

One of the important concepts is to eat nutrient-dense foods and plenty of them so that your body does not go into fat-conserving starvation mode. Give your body a flood of nutrients and good food and it will switch into fat-burning mode, "knowing" that there is plenty of food available and it is safe to burn-burn-burn all those calories coming in.
NEED....

MORE....

INFO...

On nutrient dense foods. Ok, I am dense but hopefully not food! :lol:

Tom

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
navajo001 said:
abifae said:
more fat!! too little fat lets you get cold. you have nothing real to burn :)

drop the carbs.

more fresh greens and other veggies.

:D

welcome! nice to meet you :)

isn't this the most fun group to ask for opinions???
But I have a LOT of fat to burn! :lol:

I have to admit, that especially in the winter, i don't eat as many greens as I shoud (working on that!).

I need deprogrammed. What fats are "Good"?

Very nice to meet you too!

Yes, this is an awesome group (And I NEVER use that word as I am too old! :D)

Tom
Oh Goody! I love deprogramming :cool:

All natural fats are as follows.
Butter
Real non hydrogenated lard and tallow
raw coconut oil

And no way will they make you fat! They can't!

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
journey11 said:
No dietary recommendations on my part, just wanted to say Hi :frow and :welcome !
Thank you so much. I really feel like part of the family already since I've been "getting to know you all" for a while now.

Tom

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Nope, Dr. Shari Lieberman, before she died, and most of the researcher of the study of her TLS. I teach it as a 12 week course, but I add concepts from www.westonaprice.com and Sally Fallon's wonderful book, Nourishing Traditions.

Tom, go buy that book. And search whole wheat recipes here on this site. I grind my own wheat now and make traditionally-prepared things like biscuits, pasta, bread, pie crust, etc. But they are a small part of our diet, which is mostly veggies and meats. Traditionally prepared, of course.

I have no problem with ranch dressing on your veggies. I use butter on mine or cook some of them with a few hunks of salt pork. But...no Lite dressings, dump them down the toilet where they belong. Then look up some recipes for some good dressings and make your own. Better yet, get the book mentioned above (lovingly referred to as NT) and learn how to make truly healthy condiments that are also delicious. And cost-effective. And quick!

Skip the veg oils, btw. Maybe a little EVOO or sesame oil or coconut oil, in moderation.

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Well, there is no such thing as an essential carb. Any glucose the few organs in your body that require it is made from protein. While some people can tolerate a higher carb intake, most people function best around 50g of carbs/day or less. Any more than that and you are triggering a high insulin release and causing inflammation (among other things).

Good fats are really needed. And by that I mean pastured butter, non-hydrogenated lard, olive oil, and coconut oil. Also toss any corn oil or canola. Bad stuff.

One thing for sure we can agree on...whole milk good......soy bad :D
Forgot to add that i use Extra Virgin Olive Oil exclusively when oil is needed.

but Lard...? I have been assimilated by the propaganda machine! Please tell me more.

Also, I am sorry for the multiple posts, but haven't figured out how to multi-quote here yet.

Thanks,

Tom

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
LOL I meant drop the carbs as in the number of. Not all together.

My thoughts to words have been faltering lately :rolleyes:

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I have to insert this :rolleyes:
I am so bad, LOL!
Moderate consumption of real carbs, being about 100-150 grams has been scientifically proven to actually heal insulin resistance.
As long as you are eating only real food, and a good amount of real fat.
If the body freaks out at this amount, and gains weight easily, and prefers low carb, then it is a sgn that the endocrine system is messed up.
I will add the studies in here as soon as I can pull them up.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
I have to insert this :rolleyes:
I am so bad, LOL!
Moderate consumption of real carbs, being about 100-150 grams has been scientifically proven to actually heal insulin resistance.
As long as you are eating only real food, and a good amount of real fat.
If the body freaks out at this amount, and gains weight easily, and prefers low carb, then it is a sgn that the endocrine system is messed up.
I will add the studies in here as soon as I can pull them up.
exactly!!! i consider 100 to be about right and low carb below 100 and high carb over 200.

i bounce between 20-120 depending on hormone levels LOL.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
navajo001 said:
Wifezilla said:
Well, there is no such thing as an essential carb. Any glucose the few organs in your body that require it is made from protein. While some people can tolerate a higher carb intake, most people function best around 50g of carbs/day or less. Any more than that and you are triggering a high insulin release and causing inflammation (among other things).

Good fats are really needed. And by that I mean pastured butter, non-hydrogenated lard, olive oil, and coconut oil. Also toss any corn oil or canola. Bad stuff.

One thing for sure we can agree on...whole milk good......soy bad :D
Forgot to add that i use Extra Virgin Olive Oil exclusively when oil is needed.

but Lard...? I have been assimilated by the propaganda machine! Please tell me more.

Also, I am sorry for the multiple posts, but haven't figured out how to multi-quote here yet.

Thanks,

Tom
You want to eat fats that are saturated for the most part.
EVOO is great in moderation, as long as its kept raw.
I am blanking on the terminology. Need to go back and read :)

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I apologize and I KNOW it is bad manners to start a good discussion then bail, but I HAVE to get to bed as I have to go to bed as I have to get my DS13 up for school and get to work tomorrow.

I will be back to answer any questions any of you have for me as well as soak up the info. Consider me your sponge!

Goodnight and Thank you all so much for the warm reception!

Tom

Latest posts