I was not prepared this morning. :(

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You went and got the shovel? Girl please! I would have made a big mess in my underwear and run- a screaming blubbery and very stinky mass into the house.

I don't do poisonous snakes. I freely admit to being a wuss when it comes to poisonous snakes.

Bleck!!!! And ICK!!!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Are you sure that it is a Copperhead? The largest that I have ever seen was about three feet long, and I've caught and handled a good number of them over the years. Also, being pit vipers, Copperheads more often will eat a chick, as opposed to eating an egg. If it is truly five or six feet long, and it is a Copperhead, it may be a world record (or at least a state record).

Chicken/Rat snakes are often mistaken for Copperheads. They can get five or six feet long, and are often found eating eggs.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
We had a dog get bit by a copperhead on 2 occasions. Trust me, you don't want your dog going after it! Good grief, they cause some pain and swelling and high vet bills! I've never heard of a copperhead shaking its tail either. We used to see them pretty frequently when I was still living at home. Now thankfully there aren't any in my area.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
What k0xxx said.

There are quite a number of snakes that will vibrate the tailtip that way - it's been too long since my herp lab days, I couldn't give a reasonable list anymore, but I've only ever seen baby copperheads do it (not adults, and I've dealt with a lot of adult copperheads) whereas there are a variety of nonpoisonous spp that *do* do it as adults.

Anyhow, if it *were*, copperheads are generally pretty laid-back as venomous snakes go, obviously you *can* get bit by them if you get unlucky but mostly they "can take a joke". (Unlike, for instance, water moccasins, which need to switch to decaf)

Glad you're ok :),

Pat

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
KevsFarm said:
Do you own a snake bite kit...? You know one of those suction cup thingies..I'd want to be prepared just in case the unthinkable happens..!! Would you be able to get medical attention fast enough, if ya got bit...? We don't have poisonous snakes around my way.We have northern water snakes and black racers that will throw you a nasty bite, but they aren't poisonous. Do be careful...!!
Do NOT, repeat do NOT use a snake bite kit if you get bitten. Put a constricting band around the extremity just above the bite and get to the Emergency room immediately. You'll do yourself more harm with that kit than you wil by just getting to the ER. If you have someone to drive you to the ER so much the better.
Do not start cutting into your self and wasting time trying to suck out poison. Just get the the nearest ER. They will probably have antivenom they can give you and the sooner you get it the better you'll do. There are plenty of snake bites in thic country but very few deaths because our medical system can handle this type of thing.

If you choose to go back into the hen house be certain to have very heavy, thick trousers, very high leather or thick rubber boots, and have your arms covered with thick material, and of course thick leather gloves. No sense taking chances. The snake will probably not harm the chickens because he wants the eggs. Be sure to look HIGH and LOW before entering and do not take chances. Of course a small gauge shotgun comes in handy because it does not need to be all that precise.

The hoe is a good thing as long as it is longer than the snake because most snakes can only strike their own length. Do not harrass the snake. If you leave a poisoned egg for it, that may take care of the problem. Snakes are NOT that smart. Jack Russell Terriers are the most fearless of dogs that will attack and kill snakes. (don't ask me how I learned this.)

If you opt to kill the snake, do not attempt to grab it near or by the head. It can still bite even if the head is cut off. (don't ask me how I learned this either). Be certain to crush the head and bury it deeply so no one else will dig it up and play with it (dogs will do this).

Best option is leave it alone and it will go away especially if you don't let it get back into the hen house. While that may be difficult to do, it may be better.

Hope this helps.
//BT//
Trim sends

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yea we found our first snake in the barn a few days ago. It actually frosted that night so I think maybe he was trying to get warm. (or eat the chickens, either one :gig ) But it was just a little black snake so it wasen't too big of a deal. I know I'm really gonna panic when I finally run across a poisonus one. Guess we need to work on clearing more brush away from the house and barn. :sick

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Kala said:
I know I'm really gonna panic when I finally run across a poisonus one.
Kala, you probably never *will*. SE Ohio "theoretically" has two rattlers (timber and massassauga) but they are extremely rare; and "some few" copperheads but not very many, certainly not comparable to a couple states south of you.

So, relax :)

Pat

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Are you sure that it is a Copperhead? The largest that I have ever seen was about three feet long, and I've caught and handled a good number of them over the years. Also, being pit vipers, Copperheads more often will eat a chick, as opposed to eating an egg. If it is truly five or six feet long, and it is a Copperhead, it may be a world record (or at least a state record).

Chicken/Rat snakes are often mistaken for Copperheads. They can get five or six feet long, and are often found eating eggs.
Pretty positive it was a copperhead. They get big around here..not really that uncommon to see large ones, though this one looked a bit larger than normal. Wasn't eating eggs...I think it was after my little RIR hen that was in the next box over. I do have chicks out there too. It was fast either way. 5-6 feet is just a guesstimate, it was crawling, not stretched out when i knocked it out of the box accidentally. I'll get pics WHEN I kill it, not IF, but WHEN ;)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
KevsFarm said:
Do you own a snake bite kit...? You know one of those suction cup thingies..I'd want to be prepared just in case the unthinkable happens..!! Would you be able to get medical attention fast enough, if ya got bit...? We don't have poisonous snakes around my way.We have northern water snakes and black racers that will throw you a nasty bite, but they aren't poisonous. Do be careful...!!
Do NOT, repeat do NOT use a snake bite kit if you get bitten. Put a constricting band around the extremity just above the bite and get to the Emergency room immediately. You'll do yourself more harm with that kit than you wil by just getting to the ER. If you have someone to drive you to the ER so much the better.
Do not start cutting into your self and wasting time trying to suck out poison. Just get the the nearest ER. They will probably have antivenom they can give you and the sooner you get it the better you'll do. There are plenty of snake bites in thic country but very few deaths because our medical system can handle this type of thing.

If you choose to go back into the hen house be certain to have very heavy, thick trousers, very high leather or thick rubber boots, and have your arms covered with thick material, and of course thick leather gloves. No sense taking chances. The snake will probably not harm the chickens because he wants the eggs. Be sure to look HIGH and LOW before entering and do not take chances. Of course a small gauge shotgun comes in handy because it does not need to be all that precise.

The hoe is a good thing as long as it is longer than the snake because most snakes can only strike their own length. Do not harrass the snake. If you leave a poisoned egg for it, that may take care of the problem. Snakes are NOT that smart. Jack Russell Terriers are the most fearless of dogs that will attack and kill snakes. (don't ask me how I learned this.)

If you opt to kill the snake, do not attempt to grab it near or by the head. It can still bite even if the head is cut off. (don't ask me how I learned this either). Be certain to crush the head and bury it deeply so no one else will dig it up and play with it (dogs will do this).

Best option is leave it alone and it will go away especially if you don't let it get back into the hen house. While that may be difficult to do, it may be better.

Hope this helps.
//BT//
Trim sends
LOL "Don't ask me how I know this"...okay I won't but I have a strong suspicion how ya know! :lol:

I agree on the bite kit being a waste. I'd be airlifted if i got bit because our local hospital does NOT have antivenom. I'm being careful, and know about the tall boots, etc. I went out with the shotgun to collect eggs this last time ;) When I get it finally, the head will be tossed into the burn barrel and burned. I already know about the presence of the venom still in the pits of the head even though the snake is dead. So...I live in snake country, and have known all this stuff for ages, but thanks for the refresher course :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
What k0xxx said.

There are quite a number of snakes that will vibrate the tailtip that way - it's been too long since my herp lab days, I couldn't give a reasonable list anymore, but I've only ever seen baby copperheads do it (not adults, and I've dealt with a lot of adult copperheads) whereas there are a variety of nonpoisonous spp that *do* do it as adults.

Anyhow, if it *were*, copperheads are generally pretty laid-back as venomous snakes go, obviously you *can* get bit by them if you get unlucky but mostly they "can take a joke". (Unlike, for instance, water moccasins, which need to switch to decaf)

Glad you're ok :),

Pat
Wow, I thought copperheads were the only ones that would rattle their tails like that. All we have around here seems to be copperheads, chicken snakes, the rare occassional hognose or racers, and water mocassins, so I'm not terribly terribly experienced, but most of those look a good bit different.