I was not prepared this morning. :(

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
You had it pinned with a shovel and you DIDN'T chop it in half? That's standard procedure around the family ranch.

"Dad, there's a snake over there."

*schwang!*

"Not anymore."
:yuckyuck

:thumbsup

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
You had it pinned with a shovel and you DIDN'T chop it in half? That's standard procedure around the family ranch.

"Dad, there's a snake over there."

*schwang!*

"Not anymore."
The goats were running interference :hu

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i do know the hognose and racers will "rattle"...

either way i wouldnt risk it...personally i LOVE snakes, yes even the venemous ones...but i als respect them and would give him plenty of space...most copperheads wont try to take even a semi mature hen...young banties mabe but their main diet is beetles, crickets, mice and young chicks...occasionally VERY VERY young rabbits...

there not typically interested in eggs or anythign over a couple weeks old...

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't read all of the posts, so someone else may have mentioned this.
There are several different species of snakes that 'rattle' their tail.
A few years ago, my husband killed a snake that I had been watching return for three years. A friend was with him and told him it was a rattlesnake and needed to die. I was furious! Needless to say, he won't make that mistake again. (He said he didn't remember that I had told him about other snakes doing that. Don't think he will ever forget it, now.)

believer11

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
What an interesting day! I hope you catch "it" soon (or kill it!), as the suspense could be more than aggravating.

Just so you all know, there are 5' copperhead in TN. About 15 yrs ago we were at the Shiloh Battleground picnic area and met a young man carrying a dead one. He had killed it nearby and was going to keep this fella's skin.

He dropped it in the leaves at the edge of the parking lot while going for his truck. Perfect teaching moment...."kids, see how well it blends in with the leaves, see....." Then I started to reach for the head to open the mouth and display the fangs. Nothing handy to wash my hands with, so I opted to use a stick to pry that mouth open ~ Thank God!

Soon's I got it opened most of the way, with the fangs extended, it snapped shut. Even though the head was totally crushed (and I thought, quite safe).

Since we live in an area with plenty of venomous snakes, I've got my own snakebit kit....if for *some reason* we couldn't reach medical help, or to use on the way there, I have a plastic storage box with....

cortalus horribilus, 200 (homeopathic to counter the venom)
thuja (homeopathic)
lachesis, 30C (homeopathic)
google these to get additional info on when/how to use

powdered clay and goldenseal to mix into a poultice to draw toxins out (safer than cutting open and exposing to germs)
charcoal to cover wound with as it will draw toxins out as well

Colloidal silver, antibiotic, antiviral, antifunal, helps with inflammation and blood poisoning
Unisol sterile saline solution with no preservatives to wash/flush wounds
instant cold pack to help with swelling
gauze pads to use over the poultices
cling gauze to hold in place

Thankfully I haven't had an opportunity to try any of this on snake bites, but 2 summers ago I met a brown recluse spider up close and personal. Having seen my fil suffer for 3 yrs from the after effects of a bite treated by medical doctors with antibiotics, I opted to use the poultices listed above along with a slew of herbal antibiotic/anti-inflammatories and after 2 days of fever/pain/lethargy I started getting better. Within a month all that was left was a small brown spot on my arm!!!

Talked with some old farmer types who will put an animal bitten by a poisonous snake in cold running water if possible .... and swear that prevents most of the ill effects so it may be helpful with the other stuff.