I watched the documentary "Fat Head" ....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
you can't get enough from veggies
Free, I would venture to say that it depends on what type and how many veggies one eats. My folks seem to get adequate calcium from their vegan diet and they do not take supplements for this. They also do daily wt. bearing exercise for this.

I think a very important factor in strong bones is weight bearing exercise. Calcium is returned to the bone when bones are under stress on a regular basis. Wt. bearing exercise is key in keeping healthy bones. You can take all the calcium you wish, but it will not remain in the bone unless needed.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
True, Bee, and how the veggies are grown and what the genetic profile of the eater is and how they started out in life.

There is a constant flow of calcium into and out of the bones in a healthy person. Calcium is needed for muscle contraction and all nerve impulse conduction, so it is needed for so much more than strong bones. This is the one reason why the channel blockers, like.....er.....what is the name of that drug that was in the new for causing osteonecrosis of the jaw? That's bone death.....in your face, folks....by stopping the normal ebb and flow of calcium rather than getting enough of the right type of calcium into people and keeping enough of it in the bones....through weight-bearing exercise.

It is the exception that people have enough calcium through greens along, without kidney stones.

I do admit that I know an awful lot about some things but not a lot of everything! :lol:

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Boniva - "I've just got this one life" - Sally Field - I'd like to poke her every time I see that commercial. Better living through pharmaceuticals :rolleyes:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
:gig

No kidding.

"Vitamin D wasn't enough". Not at gvmnt recommended levels it wasn't. 400 IU isn't enough to do squat.