I watched the documentary "Fat Head" ....

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Biblio--thanks for your post. I hope I was not offensive to you in my comments. We all just base our decisions off what we see around us and what works or doesn't work for us.
no, you definitely didn't offend me. i was mostly agreeing with you that we need to all take a step back and remember that we aren't all alike physically and we definitely aren't all alike in our goals/needs.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
UTC...makes perfect sense to me!

Biblio....I think that we all just need to be able to respect each other and treat each other with respect and consideration for feelings. We are not all the same and my goals are not your goals, your goals are not Wifezilla's goals etc.

Part of what makes us such a great community (usually!) is our ability to respect differences because let's face it, in real life most of us are considered odd! Preserving food, stockpiling for Zombie invasion, raising chickens in the city, making our own laundry soap....we are by definition outside the norm, so we in general we are able to support each other differences well. At least normally, but this seems to be a hot topic, one in which we all need to make an extra effort to be polite and show respect.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace said:
Biblio....I think that we all just need to be able to respect each other and treat each other with respect and consideration for feelings. We are not all the same and my goals are not your goals, your goals are not Wifezilla's goals etc.
i agree, respect is the key. but i do think our goals are the same: we each want to be happy and healthy. we've just found different ways to get to that place and that's ok, actually that's spectacular. that way others who are looking for their path to being happy and healthy can try multiple things and find what works for them. that's a great thing.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
but we also have to remember that what works for us might not be the answer for someone else. we can share our information, but to tell others that they are a "ticking time bomb" is to become the people that we all hate: the "experts" who are completely blind to anyone else.
:thumbsup

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Not everyone will agree on *what* lab values are indications of health or unhealth. Seriously. Someone already mentioned on here that high cholesterol was protection for cancer and something else.

Yikes.

After a while, I seriously believe obsessing over food is quite unhealthy in and of itself. I really do.
yikes is low key for what I thought when I read that...lol

I agree...an obsession turns to wrong eventually.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I will let people draw their own conclusions.

"Before looking at the connection between blood cholesterol levels and heart disease, it is worth highlighting a critically important - remarkably unheralded - fact: After the age of 50, the lower your cholesterol level is, the lower your life expectancy.

Perhaps even more important than this is the fact that a falling cholesterol level sharply increases the risk of dying of anything, including heart disease.

The dangers of a low cholesterol level were highlighted by a major long-term study of men living in Honolulu: 'Our data accord with previous findings of increased mortality in elderly people with low serum cholesterol, and show that long-term persistence of low cholesterol concentration actually increases the risk of death.'

Somewhat ironically, the danger of a falling cholesterol level was first discovered in the Framingham study: 'There is a direct association between falling cholesterol levels over the first 14 years [of the study] and mortality over the following 18 years.'

It seems almost unbelievable that warnings about the dangers of a high cholesterol level rain down every day, when the reality is that a low cholesterol level is much more dangerous than a high level. Given this, why would anyone want to lower the cholesterol level? On the face of it, it would make more sense to take cholesterol-raising drugs. Especially after the age of 50."

"Perhaps the largest single analysis of cholesterol levels, and death from cardiovascular disease (and other diseases), was published in 1992. This review included over 100,000 women, aggregated from a number of different studies and countries.

"To quote from the study: 'The pooled estimated risk for total cardiovascular death in women showed no trend across TC (total cholesterol) levels.' In short, for more than 50 percent of the world's population - women - raised cholesterol is not a risk factor for heart disease.

Moving to men, it is true that under the age of 50 there does seem to be an association between raised cholesterol levels and heart disease. But after the age of 50, when more than 90 percent of heart attacks happen, the association disappears.

In addition, those populations in the world with the highest rates of heart disease in younger men, including Emigrant Asian Indians, Eastern Europeans, Native Americans and Australian Aboriginals, tend to have significantly lower cholesterol levels than the surrounding populations/countries.

Perhaps the single most directly contradictory fact is that, in young Japanese men, the average cholesterol level has risen over the past 20 years, yet the rate of heart disease has fallen. But as with many facts in this area, if they don't fit the cholesterol hypothesis, they are dismissed."
http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/0000000CAE78.htm

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Whew, just caught up. So much drama in just a few hours!!

I can't take the time to sort out who said what, but I do want to address things that were directed at my comments.....When I made the comment about breakfast and listed donuts, cereals, fake stuff, etc.....I was using hyperbole, and also commenting on my OWN diet for many years.

For those who aren't aware of it, I have been teaching weight management and nutrition classes for several years now. VERY successfully. So I am very aware of what people who are struggling are eating, and the mistakes people commonly make when they think they are following what I've taught and they really aren't. When someone in my class who wants to lose weight doesn't says they are following everything I taught to the letter, I ask to see their food journal. There are always glaring errors and things that they either missed or that totally went over their heads. Once I can explain things, they make the change and start losing weight. I have never seen anyone continue to gain weight or fail to lose weight once they make the changes.

And....I really try to NEVER take shots at anyone. Only on occasion in defense of someone who is being attacked, and I don't think I take shots, I think I state what is happening and how I expect the person to behave. Please call me on it if I ever take a shot. So if you feel like I've insulted you, please PM me and I will clarify and apologize.

MOST IMPORTANTLY.......There is no way that a goal of 12 servings of veggies, including a piece of fruit or two and in addition, 2 or more (depending on weight goals) servings of grains can be considered low carb or no carb. This is the way many people on this thread eat and advocate. Some have less veggies and more protein because that works better for them. The common theme is NO processed grains and little to no sugars.

Gotta run, bison is ready!!!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Hey abifae--I would fund your study!! Love the parts about how you feel about life and how often you laugh. What valuable criteria those would be, even more than your TG or HDL or whatever :D

Dace--Thanks for the help on sugar. I just don't like it cuz there's not a single nutrient in it (well, except carbs) and it feels like an addiction to me. Sounds like you found a great way of getting it our of your life! I.... will.....try.....I.... think...... Hoo boy.