I watched the documentary "Fat Head" ....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
(a few posts back): Thanks, Free, For validating my instinct to throw water on every physical complaint! :) When my DH is extra physically active, like yesterday hauling 2 deer through deep snow, he ends up with Charley horses at night. Is this a vitamin imbalance or a dehydration issue?
Now that I have a full belly (Bison burgers with cheddar and fermented dills from the garden last summer, acorn squash halves with butter, carrots, and brocolli) I remembered your question....

Charley horses (muscle cramps.....the muscle will suddenly and fully contract and it is PAINFUL! And then it is sore for a few days afterwards, too) are usually due to a few factors....first, dehydration (or electrolyte imbalance.) Second, nutrition. Usually calcium, magnesium, or phosphorous, but often it is a calcium deficiency.

Most common causes of calcium deficiency IME are today's diet....you can't get enough from veggies, and pasteurized dairy products do not supply calcium in a form that your body can utilize. Bone broths are a wonderful source, but unless you make your own, soup is not a source of calcium. Many calcium supplements on the market contain the cheapest calcium and are not very bioavailable. Many fortified foods are fortified with the cheapest junk calcium, too.

Another problem is in your genes. Some people have a variation in a gene (SnP) that determines how their body utilizes calcium. For these people, supplementation is a must, even with a good diet, especially as they age. (Raises hand....that's me!) If I don't supplement with a superior product (I've tried many) I will get brutal cramps several nights a week, in several muscles, even with my current calcium rich diet.

And lastly, another common cause is drinking carbonated beverages. How much is too much is very individual, but the phosphorous in the beverages creates an imbalance and depletes available calcium.

Oh, wait, another one.....taking antacids. Calcium needs an acidic environment for absorption, and Tums (etc) neutralizes acid. So don't be fooled by their ads. Notice how they are worded. They don't actually lie, but they are very, very deceptive. I once took a Tums display out of a waiting room and into my doctors appointment. After I pointed it out to her, she put it in the trash in embarrassment. I ended up taking the display back to my office so I could use it to educate.

I'm sure there are more causes, but these are the common ones most easily addressed.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Free, when are you doing another class?

I think I need it.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I highly recommend it! My jeans (not genes) thank you free for the class. They were giving their life and almost threw in the towel. :lol:

Tonight I'm in a new pair of smaller size jeans (giving the old ones an early retirement) and I didn't spend a lot on them b/c I am certain that they are just temps. If ya get my drift. ;)

James Brown here: I feel GOOD! :weee

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I was kinda waiting to get word from the massage school as to when the new semester was starting....so I didn't have to start two new groups on the same weekend! Lazy me. So it looks like school starts the 23rd for me, so I plan to start the following weekend. I like it to go into spring....I think Jan 1 is the WORST time to start a new diet/lifestyle, since the days are so miserable for much of the country. By the end of Feb, there is hope in the air, and everyone can hit their stride by March. Woo-hoo!

I will start a thread this weekend announcing it. I will have steeply discounted prices for people who join in pairs and small groups, so start talking to your friends! (Members of your household can listen in for free.)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
No wait, hold all applause until I'm in my goal jeans. ;) Free, I can't wait! I've got my sister (the good one) chomping at the bit. Will she need any prerequisites? (She is starting fresh.)