I watched the documentary "Fat Head" ....

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Don't be scared of the kefir! It is sooooooo easy and cheap.

You don't have to try to choke it down plain like BBH (crazy girl!) I dump it into my morning smoothie. I get all that great healthy goodness without having to taste it! :lol:

I struggle with the fermented veggies though!

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
LOL

I ferment veggies and stuff, but NO WAY am I touching that kefir or kombacha!! :sick

Just give me my yogurt and ginger carrots and I am happy :D
I said TRY! :D

just 'cause I drink alot tea or diet soda and I'm TRYING to find something to replace my soda. I know it's bad for me, but I love the stuff.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My kids actually prefer kefir to yogurt. Although, I haven't made it in over two years, since my culture got lost /ruined/forgotten about (pick one cuz I;m not sure which one it is now) since we moved to this house. Now, i'm just waiting for my raw milk before I bug BBH for some grains ( :) ;) BBH :frow)

Edited to add, I haven't really fermented anything yet, but gonna get there sooner or later. I have to get my mind off of sauerkraut--not a fan, but that is what I think of when I thnk fermented. I know, I will get over it.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm off to Walmart (yep, I'm still shopping there, but trying to only go a few times a month) to buy coconut oil.

I used to buy coconut oil by the 50# tubs when I made soap all the time. I NEVER used it to cook! :idunno

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Okie, if you start drinking a lot of water, you really won't have room for soda.

I have found that the best mindset for me is one of abundance not of restriction. So rather than say I am cutting out all carbs, I say I am going to make 12 servings of fruits and veggies and 3 servings of protein per day my goal. Or rather than cutting out soda, I am going to make 64 oz of water my goal......focus on abundance not restriction ;)

It will probably take several days or a week to shake the sugar cravings but once you do, there is real freedom to be had!

I stood for an hour chatting in a kitchen last night with a two teired plate of homemade treats in front of me. I was not even tempted. Although three days ago when I was baking and PMSing I did indulge in a few treats. :p

Give it 100% for the first week and I bet it will get easier and easier. I don't even think about bread or treats now.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey North, I am using commercial whole milk for my kefir. I started with raw, but it is a bit of a drive for me to get it!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Dace said:
Hey North, I am using commercial whole milk for my kefir. I started with raw, but it is a bit of a drive for me to get it!
I used 2% way back when, but want to do the raw. How is it with whole? I added powdered milk to it to thicken it up. Can't "buy" raw in Canada.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I guess Im going to have to watch the documentary,...I'm lost. :idunno

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
It is great, it get's fairly thick too. In fact I ran out of whole and for the past two days have been using fat free since that was what I had, and texturally it is the same.

Latest posts