Ice Cream??

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In the summer, we sometimes purchase ice cream for a treat. It seems every time we go to the freezer section- the container is smaller and the price is larger!!
Do any of you make your own ice cream? I have seem so many gadgets- do any of them work?? I would love to make organic ice cream. I would welcome any suggestions! Thanks!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
1 quart of fresh cream from the farm
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup of raw honey
vanilla to taste

Gently whip the cream to fluff it a bit. Add the rest of the ingredients.
Pour into a flat container and freeze.
Enjoy :drool

You can add any kind of fruit or berry, and even chocolate for variation.

This is the recipe from Nourishing Traditions, by Sally Fallon, with my variation on making it without an ice cream maker.

I am also appalled at the way they are fleecing the general public, by selling 6 cups of ice cream for the price of 8 quarts.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I love my electric ice cream maker and it makes 6 quarts at a time! So when we go through all the effort, we have plenty to show for it. We use our goat's milk, our eggs, and lately, homemade mint extract. I purchase whatever sweetener I'm using (depends if it is just for dh and I or for company), cocoa, chocolate bars, etc, to flavor it. We will have strawberries soon!

I have a thread somewhere with my recipe...

Here it is: http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8185

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow! They both sound too good! BubblingBrooks, I am glad to know I can make ice cream without a gadget...
But, freemotion- what I can do with a gadget!!!
I am definitely going to make the mint extract- even if I don't make ice cream. One thing I have way too much of is, mint!
I have chickens and bees- so honey and eggs, we have...
Thanks!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Grocery store ice cream makes me ill (I have mild lactose intolerance, but even lactase enzyme tablets don't help with all the crap they put in that stuff) so we make a couple of simple versions at home. I also have a recipe for a custard-type ice cream somewhere, I will try to dig it up as well.

Vanilla Ice Cream

1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup honey (I don't actually measure and probably use less)
2 cups heavy cream, well chilled
1-2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

I mix the milk and honey together with my stand mixer, then slowly add the vanilla and cream while mixing at high speed. When it's light and fluffy I pour it into my ice cream maker and run it for 25 minutes but you could just pour it into a freezer container at this point and put the container into the freezer. :)

Chocolate Ice Cream

1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup honey
8 oz bittersweet chocolate, broken up
2 cups heavy cream, well chilled
1-2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Heat the milk in a pan just until bubbles form at the edges. Pulse the chocolate in a blender until finely ground. Add the honey and hot milk to the blender and run until well blended and smooth, let this mixture cool completely in the bowl of your mixer. Once cool, mix in the cream and vanilla as for vanilla ice cream, then pour into ice cream maker and run for 25 minutes (or again pour into freezer container and into freezer).

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Honey Flavored Ice Cream

*2 eggs, seperated

*1/4-1/2 cup of strong flavored honey (I used leatherwood honey, but that is a local honey and hard if not impossible to come by in the States unless you know someone who can order it in. Any strong flavored honey would do, really.)

*300mL (1/2 pint) double cream (heavy works fine)

1. In a bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks and whisk in the honey (honey should be runny, not crystalline). In a seperate bowl, beat the cream to soft peaks. In another bowl, beat together the egg yolks.

2. Combine the egg yolk mixture with the cream, then add the egg white and beat again, bringing it back to a medium soft peak. It's key to keep this well mixed, or the honey will settle to the bottom (I dound that to be the case, at any rate.)

3. Pour the mixture into a freezer proof container, cover with a lid and leave in the refrigerator for a couple hours to chill. (This step can be skipped if you have used all chilled ingredients, and you can put the bowl directly in the freezer to chill.)

4. Transfer the ice cream to the freezer (if it's not in there already) and leave it until it has begun to freeze from the outside but not in the middle. Put the container on a flat surface and beat the mixture thoroughly until it is smooth.

5. Repeat step 4 twice more at about 40-minute intervals to give a smooth ice cream.

Serve in small scoops with shortbread cookies, or just on it's own.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My mother has one of those little freezable ice cream freezers. She freezes the liner, and when it is cold enough, we take it out, dump in the ingredients, attach the beater and motor and it makes ice cream in about 15-20 minutes.

It is only a 1 quart, but it is so fast that you can do it on a whim. We borrowed it regularly when we lived next door, but have had ice cream withdrawals since we moved!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I just got an ice cream maker for mother's day from my son, these recipes look great. I've only used it one time so far mainly because our weather has been so cold and I usually think of ice cream for when it is hot, but I'm ready after reading these recipes! :drool

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Honestly I don't like the texture of any homemade ice cream I've ever had/made as much as the texture of best-quality commercial ice cream, and without a cow of my own it is WAY more expensive to buy cream and make it than to just buy ice cream...

...but that said, I still make ice cream sometimes because there are all sorts of great flavors that have mystifyingly never come into normal use in commercial ice cream.

My favorite flavors for make-at-home are:

cinnamon (optionally also add nutmeg and/or finely-chopped or ground nuts)

lemon custard

key lime

Now I'm hungry! :p But after Tuesday's heatwave and yesterday's high winds and warm temperatures, it is currently in the 40s F and cloudy and windy, and not really ice cream weather. Whew! :)

Pat