Ice Cream??

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
About antifreeze in commercial ice cream (I don't make this stuff up!):

http://www.livescience.com/2232-antifreeze-improves-ice-cream.html

http://www.ehow.com/list_6962663_foods-drinks-propylene-glycol.html

Now, just because most of these additives are on the GRAS (generally recognized as safe) list by the FDA, doesn't prove they aren't harmful and besides, the real question is: Are any of these ingredients desirable or even necessary to an originally wholesome treat? Remember, the FDA does not require ice cream makers to label all of their ingredients. Oh, boy.
http://www.naturalnews.com/023849_ice_cream_chemicals_harmful_chemicals.html

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I fully agreed they may well add it to SOME commercial ice creams.

And that is ALL that your articles say. They do not claim it's added to all of 'em.

Pat

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been too busy this week- but I chose Wife's cream and frozen fruit idea!!! Wow! If you haven't done this, you really should. It took a few seconds to make something utterly wonderful! And it is an easy way to get a quick serving of fruit too!
I will try it with half and half, or whole milk next. A little too fatty with the cream- but generally out of this world delicious!
Looking forward to things slowing down a bit, so I can try some of the other ideas!

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'll have to do a little experimenting myself.

I'm not a big ice cream eater (also lactose intolerant -- usually) and my problem is that I've only ever found about a half-dozen flavors I like. There were two on the market last fall -- a Kona almond and another that was mocha with chocolate covered nuts, I think. Now that the weather is hot here, I started watching the ads (full-priced ice cream is highway robbery!) and when the brands went on sale I went to the store. Not one, but BOTH of them are apparently discontinued! :th

So it's no more ice cream for me.

I only seem to like coffee-type flavors with chocolate and/or nuts added, and a not-too-sweet chocolate flavor with pure frozen peanut butter ribbons. (Not chopped chocolate peanut-butter cups -- WAY too sweet!)

So unless I can make that, I think I'm out of luck.

I have absolutely GOT to try that cinnamon-type for topping pies for holidays someday. Even if I don't like it, I bet someone will! :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I got this recipe from one of the paleo blogs I read. I can't remember which one, but I did memorize the recipe b/c it was sooo simple.

Whip up 4 frozen bananas with 4-5 Tablespoons of cocoa powder and 1 cup of coconut milk. (Forgive me WZ if you posted this idea, you have the best collection of healthy ice cream ideas!!)

They called it chocolate mousse but said it could also be frozen into ice cream. I'm making it for breakfast as soon as everyone wakes up over here.

eta: I wonder if I could throw in some egg yolks? I have a ton of extra fresh eggs...

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
OMG, I added 2 fresh duck yolks for more protein....to die for!!!! Fantastic breakfast! (Oh, I used raw milk instead of coconut milk b/c I didn't feel like opening a can.)

Florezian

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I made the custard vanilla version... because as much as my so will try new things, the closer they are to the original the better.

I also added in some cooked down berries. So between the berries, cream,eggs, and sugar the entire recipe was organic :D

It was fantastic, especially drizzled in chocolate. :D

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
I'll have to do a little experimenting myself.

I'm not a big ice cream eater (also lactose intolerant -- usually) and my problem is that I've only ever found about a half-dozen flavors I like. There were two on the market last fall -- a Kona almond and another that was mocha with chocolate covered nuts, I think. Now that the weather is hot here, I started watching the ads (full-priced ice cream is highway robbery!) and when the brands went on sale I went to the store. Not one, but BOTH of them are apparently discontinued! :th

So it's no more ice cream for me.

I only seem to like coffee-type flavors with chocolate and/or nuts added, and a not-too-sweet chocolate flavor with pure frozen peanut butter ribbons. (Not chopped chocolate peanut-butter cups -- WAY too sweet!)

So unless I can make that, I think I'm out of luck.

I have absolutely GOT to try that cinnamon-type for topping pies for holidays someday. Even if I don't like it, I bet someone will! :)
If you use pure cream, then you should not have any issues with your intolerance, unless you have found that to be the case previously.