Ice Cream??

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
To get a texture like commercial ice cream you need to add.....antifreeze. Yup, that's right. They add antifreeze.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Oh c'mon, maybe some brands do (I have no idea) but not your typical higher-end brands. I just went and doublechecked on what I've got in the freezer right now and there is certainly no ethylene glycol or propylene glycol or anything else like that in there.

Mainly the reason the texture is different is that they use emulsifiers (some of which are, in theory, natural-origin, please note) and stabilizers. Carageenan, xanthan gum, things like that.

I wouldn't know about cheapie ice cream, I think that stuff is gross :p

Pat

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I make ice cream in about two minutes. This only works with frozen berries, but it is delicious.

Fill a food processor bowl with frozen blueberries, raspberries, or halved strawberries or any combination of the three. Pour heavy whipping cream over the frozen berries until the are almost covered. Add sweetener of choice and pulse until smooth.

The texture is like soft serve. This is not something you can freeze leftovers so only make what you can eat fresh.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
It's almost as good made with whole milk (cheaper! :p). That's what I feed the kids for dessert, if we're having dessert. Quickest thing in the world, and not actually all that bad for you. I don't usually add any sweetener, just the frozen-berries-or-other-fruit and milk.

Soft serve =/= real icecream though, in my book. I like them both but they're different things :p

Pat

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips and recipes! Cinnamon flavored- great idea! Wife, I have frozen blueberries in the freezer right now- just added heavy cream to my grocery list!!
Does anyone have a recommendation for an actual ice cream maker?

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Neko-chan, I was just writing down that honey flavored recipe and I notice in the first description it says "sifted sugar"- how much? I don't see it in the ingredient list. Thanks!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I also have one of the gadgets where you freeze the insert; mine doesn't have a motor, but it still only takes 15-20 to make icecream, and you only have to turn the handle a few times every few minutes, not constantly. But, at present, this is not icecream weather!! Cold, wet, rainy - its the 2nd of June, and feels like February!

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oy, my bad. My honey flavored recipe was adapted from an ice cream that used powdered sugar for the sweetener, so you can ignore the sifted sugar part. I'll go back and fix it.

It now reads that you whisk in honey that is runny, not crystalline. :)

And if anyone really wants to try the original Leatherwood Honey Ice Cream I made, I can always try sending you a small pot of it. It's really amazing, and I'm pretty sure like nothing you've ever had before. :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
freemotion said:
To get a texture like commercial ice cream you need to add.....antifreeze. Yup, that's right. They add antifreeze.
No way.

We have the kind that you freeze the container and it makes 1 quart. Love it!

I don't have the recipe, but I basically scald milk and cream with a pile of chopped chocolate mint, then add sugar, cool it down and run it in the ice cream maker. So delicious! But, yet, we never have the texture of commercial. Doesn't matter though. I'd drink the raw batter it's so good!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Lesa said:
Thanks for all the tips and recipes! Cinnamon flavored- great idea! Wife, I have frozen blueberries in the freezer right now- just added heavy cream to my grocery list!!
Does anyone have a recommendation for an actual ice cream maker?
I make cinnamon ice cream for our family's Thanksgiving. GREAT on pecan, apple or pumpkin pie :)

We've been doing cheapo ice cream 1:1 with our frozen berries to use them up. I'll have to replace that cheapo ice cream with some 1/2 and 1/2 and honey! Thanks for the idea :)