Ideas for adding a few hundred $ in your pocket.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Rules are pretty strict here re: selling home prepared food items in general. I do get my rabbit from the ranch where my daughter takes horseback riding lessons. It is only "word of mouth" marketing though. Lots of people sell eggs here however I don't think they are really supposed to.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
Has anyone had any problems selling like the procesed meat rabbits/ chickens or eggs, or canned food like green beans - pickles or jelly?
we have a state license permit and are inspected for selling our sausage. yea there are regs you must follow.

anything pickled also we must go to a state Agri. class to be certified and kitchens inspected before you can sell homemade foods.

(this is at the farmers markets) so before you think about getting into it, find your market and find out the regs. doing it backwards can cost you.

It is rough out there :)

MrBubblingbrooks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We've begun ebaying more. Also Craigslist; the plus to CL is there are no fees. The big plus for Ebay is you're reaching a global market. I have done well shopping seasonal clearances at Wal-Mart and Target; both will sell things for pennies on the dollar when the season shifts. One example is some ice auger blades I purchased last spring for $9 a set, and just sold for $20 a set on E-bay. They are an item that normally sells for $40, so I had no problem selling them for $20 and seeing a nice profit. Golf balls usually go on sale when winter hits, and they can be good sellers.

I just purchased a case of Polaroid film, for $7 a box, and the Ebay price is $15-30 a box, depending on the condition. Shipping is really cheap as its a small item, and that helps with the sale.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
MrBubblingbrooks said:
We've begun ebaying more. Also Craigslist; the plus to CL is there are no fees. The big plus for Ebay is you're reaching a global market. I have done well shopping seasonal clearances at Wal-Mart and Target; both will sell things for pennies on the dollar when the season shifts. One example is some ice auger blades I purchased last spring for $9 a set, and just sold for $20 a set on E-bay. They are an item that normally sells for $40, so I had no problem selling them for $20 and seeing a nice profit. Golf balls usually go on sale when winter hits, and they can be good sellers.

I just purchased a case of Polaroid film, for $7 a box, and the Ebay price is $15-30 a box, depending on the condition. Shipping is really cheap as its a small item, and that helps with the sale.
I do that too from time to time when I have extra cash not earmarked for bills or things. I need to get back into it soon. I have found some great prices lately! I do electronics mostly though, they move faster usually :)

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We hit auctions. I buy anything cheap usually. I have a person who will buy any antiques I want to sell. Bought 4 old oil lamps for 12 dollars, and sold 2 for $60.00 ( kept the other 2 for my oun use). Just went to a store " going out of busness" auction. Nobody wanted to touch the christmas items- I got a pile of brand new christmas tree stands, the heavy plastic ones, for $3.00 for 15 of them. Sold 9 of them so far for $10 each. They sell at walmart for over $20. Spent $37.00 and filled my truck.

ChaneyLakegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you have any "outlet" type stores in your area, you maybe able to buy cheap, discontinued or "retired" items and resell on ebay. I do this with stores in our area. Especially this time of year (holidays) I make a nice little extra income. I would recommend researching before you buy and bunch and try to resell, as not all outlet items are deals or sell well.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
We hit auctions. I buy anything cheap usually. I have a person who will buy any antiques I want to sell. Bought 4 old oil lamps for 12 dollars, and sold 2 for $60.00 ( kept the other 2 for my oun use). Just went to a store " going out of busness" auction. Nobody wanted to touch the christmas items- I got a pile of brand new christmas tree stands, the heavy plastic ones, for $3.00 for 15 of them. Sold 9 of them so far for $10 each. They sell at walmart for over $20. Spent $37.00 and filled my truck.
wow FunnyF that is a great profit from those lamps!!

You are one of those crafty ones that can make a profit from things! I admire that! I am the type that loses when I think I can make a buck....:lol: :lol:

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I stick to what I know, my mom was an antique hunter and I loved to go with her so I learned a lot from her. If a profit cant be made I don't buy it. And if I am buying to resell I put a limit on what I can spend on it. Hard sometimes with people who seem just there to outbid you. ( I get very competitive like that ) also got 24 very cheap (made) tree skirts they look like they are made from quilt batting! $1.00 for all. I got them because my daughter is making pillows for christmas gifts and she can use them for stuffing. I also look for farm and western stuff. Rusty barbed wire, and things like a pair of rusty spurs I sell to a friends dad who goes to texas a couple times a year and sets up at flea markets. I got 2 pair of very rusted spurs at a horse sale kept one pair for my wall sold the other pair to him for 15.00 he sold them for 40.00. And old used ropes at the horse sales- I can get them for 1.00 each (sometimes) and sell them for 10.00 each. Or keep them to make western walhangings.

I wish I could post pics, I made a wreath with very old barbed wire and stuck deer antlers in it and I change the bow for the holiday!

If you like to walk around in the woods you can go in the spring and pick up sheds! Antlers are worth a LOT of money! At the pet stores they are selling chunks of deer antler for dog chews! 12.00 for a 5-6 inch peice! Wow! I have a guy that makes pens out of them so I traded him antlers for made pens this year for christmas gifts.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
$12 for a 5-6 in. peice. Holy cow I had no idea.

surprising what 'niche' you know in this world to make some great income.

While I knew it was there about re-selling, I never had time to even consider it plus I know the knowledge must be there on what markets are wanted and what buyers are willing to purchase.

Moma being an antique hunter sure helped you head into a good field!!!! There are always people willing to buy. Even in worst of times, so you are a step ahead! :p

edited to say I bet your bargining skills are keen. If in total emergency situation I want you on my team !!! ;)

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes but I am nothing next to my husband!! He talked wal mart several times into lowering a price for him! He NEVER gives the price people are asking. He loves to yard sale, but I didn't say that. :lol:

Also hit auctions now! The yard tools won't be wanted, and if you can get them for little of nothing, keep them till spring and sell them! I gave $1.00 each for several shovels, hoes, and pitch fork. Will get @ 3.00 each more or less come spring.

Latest posts