Ideas on starting seeds indoors,...

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yep, I am way ahead of myself allready on my garden :clap . I have done ordered all my seeds and now I have to come up with a frugal way to start the seeds indoors. I know you can buy all the fancy little burpee greenhouse thingy's and the jiffy pellets, blah, blah,...but I want to be as frugal as possible. I have had the suggestion of starting the seed in egg cartons...(not sure how well that would work),...what else have any of you guys tried that worked???? I like the idea of reusing and recycling. So any ideas??? :D

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I sprout my chicken wheat and oats in black tray. It has removeable dividers so in the spring you can use em for seed sproutin. My mom tried the egg carton and it worked but she had it on the kitchen window sill and she hit it and knocked it over in the sink :(

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would think the egg cartons would be too shallow,..no room for a good root system.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Aren't there little pots you can make out of newspaper or something? Seems to me I've heard of that but not sure where. Obviously, not something I've tried...

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I LOVE LOVE LOVE seed starting!

Did I mention that I love it?

You can make really simple little containers out of used newspaper. I just lay out pieces of cut newspaper, about 1/3 or 2/3 of a sheet (it's been two years since i made any so forgive me!) and roll up a straight sided cup/glass in the paper. You will need to google it for a better understanding....but they hold water nicely and don't dry out nearly as quickly as egg carton sized containers.

Also.....I put my little newspaper pots into labeled gallon sized zip locks in a sunny spot....as soon as the seeds start to sprout (check them a couple times a day) I cut open the top of the bag so that they get air. The nice humid little environment really helps.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes there is,..it is a wooden thing to wrap your newspaper around to make a pot. I looked at one on burpee's site last night,..it was $20,..

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
One book I have suggests toilet paper and paper towel tubes in a tray. Never tried it though.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace said:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE seed starting!

Did I mention that I love it?

You can make really simple little containers out of used newspaper. I just lay out pieces of cut newspaper, about 1/3 or 2/3 of a sheet (it's been two years since i made any so forgive me!) and roll up a straight sided cup/glass in the paper. You will need to google it for a better understanding....but they hold water nicely and don't dry out nearly as quickly as egg carton sized containers.

Also.....I put my little newspaper pots into labeled gallon sized zip locks in a sunny spot....as soon as the seeds start to sprout (check them a couple times a day) I cut open the top of the bag so that they get air. The nice humid little environment really helps.
Awesome Dace! That is a good idea! I never thought of using a glass,..w/the bag,...thank you! I LOVE starting seeds too!

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
One book I have suggests toilet paper and paper towel tubes in a tray. Never tried it though.
That would work great too! In our house we have plenty of tp and pt rolls,..we go through that stuff! :lol: Thanks!