Ideas on starting seeds indoors,...

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our walmart has tons of gardening stuff out... of course, our last frost date is like mid-March or something :D (noaa gives us a 50/50 chance of it not happening after March 8 :weee )

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey All-- I'm back! Whenever I have started seeds I have found that having them on a slightly warm surface helps most seeds to germinate as much as two weeks faster than without heat. I used a cheap black tray with a clear top (essential b/c the heat will dry out the soil otherwise) and put it on the warming shelf of my cookstove. Once germinated, I moved them into a bright spot.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
i am planning on making a BUNCH of these pots real soon :D

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I have the little plastic thingies you get from the greenhouse when buying plants. I try to be gentle with them when I take the plants out and wash them in bleach water after use. I've always had the worse luck with the formal seed starter kits.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Last year I made my own peat pellet type planters. It was a recipe of seed starter and gelatin, and you press it into a form (a tomato paste can w/ the bottom cut out). It got old after a while though, so I just switched to the regular jiffy peat pellets. :p I really want to get one of those soil plug makers from Johnny's though!! Too expensive though...