Ideas on starting seeds indoors,...

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
Henrietta23 said:
One book I have suggests toilet paper and paper towel tubes in a tray. Never tried it though.
That would work great too! In our house we have plenty of tp and pt rolls,..we go through that stuff! :lol: Thanks!
:D You're very welcome. I've got all my seeds too. I'm so excited to garden this year. :cool:

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Im excited about the garden too! I din't have a garden last year and I missed it so much. :(

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
Im excited about the garden too! I din't have a garden last year and I missed it so much. :(
Same here. Last two years were a bust and I didn't even try the few years before that because it was just too much with my DS being so young. This is gonna be MY year!!

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
H23 I wish you the best on your garden! I know how you feel,..I love to garden, but last year was just a bad year for me and I didn't want to do anything. This year though I am ready. I can't wait for those fresh, juicy tomatoes! I ordered Pink Brandywine, Giant Beefsteak, Mountain Princess, and Cherokee Purple. I cannot wait!! :weee

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
H23 I wish you the best on your garden! I know how you feel,..I love to garden, but last year was just a bad year for me and I didn't want to do anything. This year though I am ready. I can't wait for those fresh, juicy tomatoes! I ordered Pink Brandywine, Giant Beefsteak, Mountain Princess, and Cherokee Purple. I cannot wait!! :weee
Cool! I was really bad and ordered a "Tomato Collection" with about 7 different varieties. We're planning a seed sharing exchange with some friends so all my extras won't go to waste. I'm really hoping for lots to can sauce and salsa with, as well as fresh for salads or just eating like apples, one of my favorite things to do with them!

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is a good idea to exchange your extra seeds with friends,...I hope to be able to save some seed for next year,...plus I am going to try to stick with all heirloom varieties,...so I can save seed from one year to the next. I hope I have good luck with the heirlooms,... :fl I guess I am starting the tomatoes, peppers, and cabbage indoors. Everything else should be okay straight in the garden,...I hope my cabbage does well,..I want to make saurkraut. :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Don't forget to make sure your starts have plenty of light so they don't get leggy. Also the room you have them in should be cooler. It will keep them from growing too fast.

I use CFL bulbs (100w or higher) to get the plants enough lumens.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
I made these last winter (something to do in front of the tv!) by rolling the newspaper on a tinfoil box so that the pots would be square. I can fit them nicely into my trays this way. Although the round ones do squish into the trays once you fill them with soil.

I loved using them...I just tore the bottoms off as I planted, worked great!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Can you believe it - I went to Wally World this morning for my weekly shopping, & they have the seed packets out already??? It's January 9th, right?? :ep