Ideas/ways to re-use/recycle "rubbish"?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I dunno. As she said- you're just going to burn it anyway. As long as you use a dedicated pan for melting it so there's no chance of getting ick stuff in anything else? It would be interesting to try and track down what they REALLY do with the wax from beauty procedures; I'm willing to bet they do something to purify and reuse it in some industry or other-- maybe not food or beauty, but there's a lot of other uses for that stuff.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
No pics, but I found some plastic mesh netting (fence?) out in the trash. I grabbed it up real quick. It will be part of the cover for my new chicken pen. And I used a bunch of broken 4x4s to make a round pen.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Isn't that the truth! I hung a new gate in a buck pen today....did I buy a thing? NOPE. Had the gate, had the boards I used to block it up with, had the chain for the latch and had the clip. Call me a hoarder if ya want to - I'm proud of it, lol! :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I think the negative connotation attached to the word "hoarder" has been promulgated by our throw-away society. When you save stuff and re-use or re-purpose things, it means you aren't buying new things, which means those businesses aren't making as much profit as they think they are entitled to. Of course, there is a difference between someone that hoards things because they know they will be able to use it again someday, and someone who's simply too lazy to take out their trash!

For some people, it's a mental problem. They have an emotional attachment to it. And, they're only able to come to terms w/it w/help. So, I'd say "hoarders" fall into 3 categories, those that have a mental problem, those that are too lazy, and those that know they'll be able to reuse it.

I will admit that at times I have trouble throwing stuff out that I may be able to use. But, you can only use so many of the plastic scoops that come w/certain things. There's no reason for me to have a whole box of them. And, really small pieces of 4x4s, I'm probably not going to be able to use. It's a matter of being able to determine the difference between trash and treasure!

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We do live in a very toss away society! It's very sad :'(
So much that would be used for something else just gets tossed is horribly sad. There are some things that just are done and no more use but way too much that could be reused or recycled or repurposed even!!

Paper like magazines and mail can be shredded or left as is, soaked in water compressed and dried to make 'logs' to use in fire. We've been using most of ours shredded for rabbit bedding (way cheaper than buying bags of shavings!)
Old pallets are great to pull apart and be repurposed for furniture like lawn chairs and tables or even rabbit/quail/chick hutch (I plan on doing this very soon with some boards we had planned for something else!
Ours ducks 'laying coop' I an old cupboard just flipped on its side with a hole on one side and the door on top so we can reach in and pull the eggs out.
Out eggshells we rinse and dry, grind up and feed back to the layers. Though grandma used to use the bigger cup side to start seedlings. o_O. Lol woops getting carried away here ^,^; so much repurposeing!!! >,<

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Though grandma used to use the bigger cup side to start seedlings. o_O. Lol woops getting carried away here ^,^; so much repurposeing!!! >,<

I seem to recall this idea many years ago...70s...coming up in the MEN mag, but it's good to refresh my memory with it here. Thanks!!! I think I'll be dragging that idea out when I start my mater seedlings come spring. Right now they just get tossed back to the chooks, but I'll remember to keep those fat ends for myself.