Idiocracy in Nashville

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My neighbor told me there are riots in Nashville tonight. I turned on the news to see people trashing the streets smashing windows in businesses, looting, and setting fire to the courthouse.
They called out the National Guard. Dont these people realize this wont fix anything? Behaving like idiots wont change anything but give the people in power more power to impose more restrictions.
Why do people resort to violence instead of using other means to resolve issues? This just makes things worse.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My ancestors were plantation slave owners. White aristocracy if there ever was. The old plantation home still stands, built in 1810. The bricks were made from clay on the property by slaves. The wood came from trees on the property, cut and milled by slaves. And yes, the Massa dawdled in the slave quarters and had children. He provided for both of them in his will, giving them freedom and apprenticeship to learn trades to support themselves. He did not free their mother. Lousy ba$tard.

You can look up the home, Hickory Hill in Franklin, Louisiana. It is no longer in the family, it belongs to some people who were going to restore it for a bed and breakfast. There was a celebration in the town and the new owners opened the home to visitors. Family descendants got to go in 2 hours before the general public. We took my Mom for her birthday present and she presented the owner with a family history book that she spent 20 years compiling and writing. Mom was able to dredge up childhood memories of visiting her aunts and tell the new owners about the house and grounds.

All that said, my family owned slaves. They fought for slavery in the Civil War. Some of them died. Some returned to a very different world after the war. At least some of them were KKK. That is a bit of my personal history. Does that make me the same? No. Does it make me a bad person? No, only if I lived in the past and let hatred consume my soul.

The sins of my ancestors are not my sins. I am not proud nor ashamed, I had nothing to do with their actions. I am me, I am responsible for my own actions, my sins will not be visited upon my descendants.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I guess I had my moment last weekend. I went to the auto parts store. Buddy I tell you by the time I drove to the store, got out of the truck and walked through the door, I had to pee bad.

I walked in and said to the manager that I needed to use her bathroom. She said I can't let you, due to covid. I said what?, have we become California now? Should I just pee right here on the floor? She shrugged her shoulders. I said I'll be right back, I almost ran around back and whipped it out and peed on the back wall of the auto parts store.

I went back to my truck and sanitized my hands, then went back in. She said I saw you on camera, I said yeah was it a good show?

Pretty Ridiculous honestly... Yep I had to break the law and urinate in public or pee my pants. I chose to urinate in public

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Candace is one of the most articulate, savvy young black woman I have heard talk in a long time. Has a show I will occasionally catch on Youtube or referenced to in some other things I manage to catch. She is conservative, and doesn't put up with the "oh poor black me" attitudes of so many blacks. Has taken on some of the "experts" in the senate and house that go on and on , about how to fix things in the black community and saw her tear apart the ideas of a couple of "white " experts on blacks and what the problems are in the black communities. She is well respected and admired on some of the cattle forums that I frequent..... I am talking average white southern cow raising old school men..... read one of them say that he would vote for her if she were to run for president...... WOW. But she is common sense and can discuss most any topic very articulately.....

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I didn't say it was the RIGHT reaction, just that I can see where it might be coming from. A child throwing himself on the floor and screaming bloody murder because you won't buy him an ice cream that, from his point of view, he wants RIGHT NOW, is a perfectly understandable reaction, but not one we as parents consider socially acceptable.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As Americans we have the right to peaceful assembly. I agree with the protesters. Killing a man pleading for a breath of air by kneeling on his neck is abhorrent and beyond wrong. Protesting the death of that man is a right given to us by our Constitution. That stops when rabble rousers stir up the crowd and it degenerates into a destructive force, burning and looting. This has to stop. Mayors and Governors must address the leaders of communities, asking them to help get control on the situation. Protestors are being heard, but the burning and looting is counter productive, making them all look like criminals. If I were a small business owner that had just been wiped out by protestors, I don't think I could be very sympathetic to the cause. No insurance company covers civil unrest, those businesses are just gone and the owners bankrupt.

In the aftermath of riots like this, after the rabble rousers have gone and the local people are left with destruction, their local neighborhood economies are destroyed. No grocery stores, no laundromats, no goods and services for the community. It is hard to overcome the leftovers of riots, the local people suffer for it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I say this with a smile, many people believe Sherman was a criminal. LOL We could argue right/wrong all day, I would rather let the past be past and look to the future. We should preserve our history, not to live in the past, but to learn from it and hopefully, not to repeat it. I can certainly understand not wanting a person's nose rubbed in the past when people were treated worst than animals.

We took our oldest grand daughter to see the movie Hidden Figures. It was a VERY good movie about the black women who worked at NASA, on the first walk on the moon. There were black/white water fountains and bathrooms. It was very well presented and historically correct, showing the hurt such racism caused. Our grand daughter asked why was there separate bathrooms, she was oblivious to racism and thought it horrible. We had to explain it to her because she didn't understand. If we all could be so innocent.......

Most everything in life is temporary. No matter how hard you try, you can not change the past. But starting today you can help to shape the future.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Very well written, eloquently stated, Bay. I think if every single one of us looked into our past we would find: murderers, prostitutes, thieves, child molesters, rapists, alcoholics, drug abusers, and all sorts of other relatives who committed atrocities against their fellow man. Does that make us, the current generation, evil people? Each individual is responsible for his/her own choices and actions in life. It is appointed unto man once to die, and then... the judgement.

Latest posts