Idiocracy in Nashville

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
In MN, all the people arrested were from out-of-state. What's happening among locals is different, their protest was hijacked.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Son told me that there were riots and burning in Richmond Va and that it is out of state also. Haven't pulled anything up on the computer yet.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Horrible pictures of the damage done in Richmond Va and the destruction. Defacing one of the statues of Robert E Lee and damage to some old buildings. Heard that one old courthouse was burned completely down somewhere here in the south too. Trying to destroy anything that has to do with the Civil War and the heros of it. We cannot change the past.... it is past. But we can take lessons from that time and make the future better. This destruction of property, the burning and looting is not going to bring back that poor black man that the white cop killed by his inhumane holding him down by the neck; it is not going to change the years of slavery in the south that are a sad part of history; it is not going to help with the relations between the blacks and the whites in the cities where these hate groups are rioting and looting; if anything it is only destroying any sense of trying to make it better. It is destroying both black and white owned and operated businesses.... and it is taking jobs away from both blacks and whites. It is fostering more hate and distrust amongst both blacks and whites. It has got to stop before we are in to a state of total anarchy and Marshal Law becomes the norm. People think the lockdown was tough..... they haven't seen anything yet if we become a total police state.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Who could blame a black person for wanting to tear down a statue of Robert E. Lee? I don't agree with destruction of property, but I do understand their animosity.

Many folks don't believe that Robert E. Lee was a hero...

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
He was considered a hero to those that fought with and under him. Just because someone hates him, and what they feel he stood for, there are as many that believed in what they were fighting for as far as maintaining their rights and livelihoods.
I am not saying it is right. But, one way or another, there will always be someone who doesn't like something that is done, or said, or memorialized and that doesn't give them the right to tear it down. I don't like the way things are going in this whole mess and we are never going to come to any sort of agreement if the hatred is fostered by groups that are strictly "looking for a fight". There are underlying things that are egging this hate and destructive behavior on, and it will destroy this country. One is control of the masses.... if you don't think that all this is not triggered by subversive groups to further the ideas of making the public dependent on a "government" that will not only govern but oppress people then you are more trusting that I ever will be. I for one do not want to be controlled by government to where I have lost all my individual rights and freedoms. It is coming if we don't get our act together. It is not by rioting and looting and destroying the cities.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As Americans we have the right to peaceful assembly. I agree with the protesters. Killing a man pleading for a breath of air by kneeling on his neck is abhorrent and beyond wrong. Protesting the death of that man is a right given to us by our Constitution. That stops when rabble rousers stir up the crowd and it degenerates into a destructive force, burning and looting. This has to stop. Mayors and Governors must address the leaders of communities, asking them to help get control on the situation. Protestors are being heard, but the burning and looting is counter productive, making them all look like criminals. If I were a small business owner that had just been wiped out by protestors, I don't think I could be very sympathetic to the cause. No insurance company covers civil unrest, those businesses are just gone and the owners bankrupt.

In the aftermath of riots like this, after the rabble rousers have gone and the local people are left with destruction, their local neighborhood economies are destroyed. No grocery stores, no laundromats, no goods and services for the community. It is hard to overcome the leftovers of riots, the local people suffer for it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Who could blame a black person for wanting to tear down a statue of Robert E. Lee? I don't agree with destruction of property, but I do understand their animosity.

Many folks don't believe that Robert E. Lee was a hero...

I say this with a smile, many people believe Sherman was a criminal. LOL We could argue right/wrong all day, I would rather let the past be past and look to the future. We should preserve our history, not to live in the past, but to learn from it and hopefully, not to repeat it. I can certainly understand not wanting a person's nose rubbed in the past when people were treated worst than animals.

We took our oldest grand daughter to see the movie Hidden Figures. It was a VERY good movie about the black women who worked at NASA, on the first walk on the moon. There were black/white water fountains and bathrooms. It was very well presented and historically correct, showing the hurt such racism caused. Our grand daughter asked why was there separate bathrooms, she was oblivious to racism and thought it horrible. We had to explain it to her because she didn't understand. If we all could be so innocent.......

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
there are as many that believed in what they were fighting for as far as maintaining their rights and livelihoods.
They were fighting for slavery and slavery is not a “right.”

Wouldn't it be nice to leave the past in the past - to shut the door on all the evil that has come and gone through history. The past shapes the present and we are living with that now. Our country has a sad history in the way minorities have been treated. Just look at what we've done to Native Americans.

if you don't think that all this is not triggered by subversive groups to further the ideas of making the public dependent on a "government" that will not only govern but oppress people then you are more trusting that I ever will be.
And, if you don't believe that these subversive groups are motivated by the "powers that be" at this moment then you are more trusting than I will ever be.

Want change? Speak with your vote in November.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I say this with a smile, many people believe Sherman was a criminal. LOL We could argue right/wrong all day, I would rather let the past be past and look to the future. We should preserve our history, not to live in the past, but to learn from it and hopefully, not to repeat it. I can certainly understand not wanting a person's nose rubbed in the past when people were treated worst than animals.

We took our oldest grand daughter to see the movie Hidden Figures. It was a VERY good movie about the black women who worked at NASA, on the first walk on the moon. There were black/white water fountains and bathrooms. It was very well presented and historically correct, showing the hurt such racism caused. Our grand daughter asked why was there separate bathrooms, she was oblivious to racism and thought it horrible. We had to explain it to her because she didn't understand. If we all could be so innocent.......

Most everything in life is temporary. No matter how hard you try, you can not change the past. But starting today you can help to shape the future.