IDLE CHIT CHAT

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
poppycat said:
FarmerChick- the duck eggs have a higher fat content than chicken eggs so they make everything a little richer. Cookies are a little more buttery and cakes are a little more moist.

I have thought about having a few ducks but I've heard that they are messy. I just don't have enough space for super poopers :(
OH THE POOP! DON'T get me started!!

I was free ranging the ducks, until the POOP started! My yard was COVERED! So, they now have their own pen, and I only let them out on the weekends LOL Keeps the poop in the yard down!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks Poppycat
that explains so much! had no clue! some baker I am??? HA HA

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's a very subtle difference. I probably wouldn't buy them again unless I was buying from a friend. Only because they were really expensive and my Christmas treats are pretty good with plain ol' chicken eggs if I do say so myself.

I still hope Quail sells a bunch of them. There are plenty of people who want only the very best and are willing to pay for it :)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
My female blue swedish, named Quackers, sounds like she's laughing hysterically too! My khaki female is only slightly quieter. DH insists they're louder than my crowing rooster. I disagree. Mine don't quack constantly though, mostly when someone pulls into to the driveway or goes out the back door.
I just wish mine would lay some eggs already! Perfectly Polish gave me some of her duck eggs which I used for baking and the yolks were amazing. I made some bread and it had a very rich flavor that I don't think I would have gotten with chicken eggs.

attack-cat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think a duck would be neat! But I'm full to the brim with feathered pets! My coop runneth over! And I love it!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well, they are here!! I grabbed a few quick pics! I can get better ones later.

328_100_1913.jpg

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Quail, those little babes are adorable! I am such a sucker for ducklings. I think ducks are my all time favorite pet. Haven't had any in several years, but man are they fun!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Quail
do you have a pond or do you do the kiddie swimming pool thing???

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well, we actually dug out a small pond. Using one of those garden pond liners. :lol: The ducks don't seem to swim in it too much. Usually just early in the morning.

We are hoping to have an acre pond dug out on the backside of our property.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Cuuuuuuuuuuute!
Mine "swim" in their kiddy pools and our small water garden. We're going to dig them out a bigger pond next year. But not that much bigger. The whole backyard is only 1/2 acre!