If you are in a place with daylight savings time...

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
But even the tractors and other farming equipment have lights now. Farmers aren't really getting more hours of light no matter what the clock says. Can't change the sun's cycle. :p

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Wolf-Kim said:
I hate DST. I understand it had a purpose, but our culture today doesn't depend on light. Several business' are open 24/7, many people work night shifts, I think the whole DST should be dropped. We have headlights on our vehicles, lights in our stores and houses, lights in the parking lots and lights all down the street of the cities. We no longer depend on the sun as a measure of time.
There are very few businesses open 24/7 in our area - one factory with government contracts and the hospital are the only ones I can think of at the moment. And they are both 15 or 20 miles away. This region is still pretty agricultural.....

Don't drive through the nearest large town after 8 pm - the sidewalks have been rolled up. :D
I understand that, but even without DST, the stores are still open for the same amount of time. I was just pointing out, we aren't near as dependant on light, the way we used to be.

The walmarts we have are open 24/7(all 4-5 of them), I think the walgreens stays open, many of the fuel stations stay open 24/7.

The concept of DST is to adjust time according to the changing daylight. We simply don't depend on daylight enough to change our schedules twice a year. If the farmer has to stay up until 10 in the summers, he will, regardless of the time. If my animals need tending to, dark or light, I'll trudge out there and care for them, even if I need to do so with a flashlight.

Just seems silly to change the time, I really honestly see no point in it. The sun will come and go, regardless of the time, we still have the same schedules, just moved forward or back an hour. :hu

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I am in the hate it camp as well. I often just boycott changing most of my clocks all together!

Hubby will get the important ones changed for work and stuff, while I keep looking at the other ones and just pretend that we get to go to work an hour later for a while! ;) :gig

I never change the ones in the cars! I need that extra hour to get where I am going anyway! :lol:

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I don't like daylight savings time. I wish they would leave our time alone. AM person here.
Not only that but I have DysDST, meaning that I don't know which way to turn the clock. The little rhymes mean nothing to me. I have to see the clock hands physically move to know where to turn mine. The TV or newspaper showing the clock here and then there need to show a person adjusting the clock in real time. No Lie! :hu

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hate changing the clock back - that means it will be dark when I leave home in the mornings and dark when I get home at 6:15 or 6:30!!! :hit I think we should split the hour and leave the time alone!

andehens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I grew up and lived most of my adult life in AZ where they leave the time alone. We moved here a few years ago and the DST gives me jet lag both ways each time so a couple of years ago I only changed one clock to "their" time as I can never remember if its ahead or behind or what, but essentally, I don't change time myself nor do my annimals. Somebody must be making money on it, or we would have the opportunity to vote it out!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Frankly I would rather stay on Daylight Savings Time all year round. I am soooo not a morning person, and would much prefer the sun to rise later but also set later. It is tremendously hard for me to get anything done in winter when it gets dark before 4:30!

I think it is a stupid anachronism to do it in the modern world. I am under the impression it has been shown not to save any electricity anymore, and farm equipment has headlights and can work throughout the night (and sometimes does) anyhow, so, really, why?

Oh well, of all the "really, why?" things in the world, this is probably the most minor :p

Pat

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I though our previous President extended DST to reduce power consumption by having more households get up as long as possible in daylight.
Oh well- one of the great joys of retirement is that it really doesn't matter to me. I get up when the sun rises and wakes me. So do the animals.
Only thing that changes is if I want to listen to something on the radio or watch TV- which I don't do much of anyway.
:old

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
They've proven it actually expends more electricity to switch to DST, as so many do get up in the morning and have to turn on their lights to move around in preparation for their day. Here is an article that actually shows the cons to the whole DST malarkey. I want standard time, and leave it be. I think you non-morning folks should have to adjust, I think there's more of us than there are of you :p