I'm back

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome back :)

I'd love to see your sofa once it is re-upholstered--this is a skill I'd love to learn and you are inspiring me!

tortoise said:
bbrooks - can you show me some alaska cold frames? I'm not convinced that they'd be worth it. I'm in WI, zone 4.
I'm not Bubbling Brooks, nor am I in Alaska, but I live in zone 3/4 and had a cold frame at my old house (sorry no photos, but we'll be building a new one soon along with a small greenhouse) and they do work. They are great for extending your outdoor season once the early frosts hit and also for starting cold weather crops earlier and setting warm weather crops like tomatoes out earlier--up to a month for the warm weather, and up to two months for the cold weather plants :)

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm in Wisconsin zone 4, and use cold frames. They do work nicely for things like lettuce, cabbage, carrots--cool weather crops.

Here is a pic of one of ours. Hubby found some free windows, and build a wooden frame to fit it. We can take the window off during the day if it gets warm.

May2011002.jpg

becky3086

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Very nice! I have yet to build a cold frame. Going to ask Phil to keep an eye out for windows for me.

Latest posts