I'm feeling rich--Now what should I do with it?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
there's a lot of recipes that use suet or tallow that you could make (suet pudding!). You might have to search a little for them because we've been told for so long that animal fat is bad for us.
McDonald's used to use a mixture of tallow and sunflower oil for their french fries.

I make suet cakes for the wildbirds that winter over in our area. Other ideas I've run across....

tallow candles
a base for medicinal ointments
it can be used as a flux for soldering
it is the primary ingredient in a lot of leather conditioners

I just hope you don't run out of jars!

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
About to get our half a cow for the freezer, too. I would like to make some suet patties for the birds. I am thinking just pour the suet into the mold and mix in a few seeds?? Or, is there more to it, than that?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lesa said:
About to get our half a cow for the freezer, too. I would like to make some suet patties for the birds. I am thinking just pour the suet into the mold and mix in a few seeds?? Or, is there more to it, than that?
I wouldn't put any seed in as It seems they just pick around it here.. but I have made some before that had very fine cornmeal melted into it and the birds went bonkers... and we made some with a couple scoops of peanut butter melted in for the wood peckers, and once you start with the peanut butter in there.. that is the only kind the woodpeckers will come in for.. they just love it around here.

Latest posts