i'm gettin rabbits! ~got em! and pics and a question...

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
<sigh> still no lionhead kits :/ if they dont kindle by about the 20th i am going to breed them. was all excited to be having kits without the month wait. guess i will be waiting though. the one doe never showed any signs. the other doe pulled fur but now she's got it all mixed in under the hay. and they are both not being too tidy about them either.

on the bright side though i bred the dutch doe on the 15 before evening feeding and then took her to the buck again before morning feeding the next day. so her due date is st patricks day march 17.

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If they don't kindle by day 35 it is time to rebreed! Sometimes nests aren't neat but just a dent in hay covered in fur. If you put a die with the buck, she will throw a fit if she's pregnant.

HWC

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Cute bunnies! sorry the tiny one didn't make it. They are adorable though!!!

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nice looking dutch you have there and a good deal to boot. Good job!
There is a lot of info at backyardherds in the rabbit forum to help you out if needed.
I to was wondering if you where going to have them for meat rabbits. I know the dutch will work out, not sure about the lion heads. They are quite small.
I use the florida white meat rabbit which is a very similar sized rabbit. Just more of a block of meat with ears.
I can say I am very happy to be raising some of my own food, it is quite fullfilling. I have also noticed food you raise and have time invested, doesn't seem to find the trash can as easily. Congrats on your new venture!

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thanks :) yes i will be butchering any that i do not sell. and i'm hoping to get some meat does (NZ or cali probably) and use my dutch buck on em.

<sigh> and the lionheads.... the one doe has a pedigree, the other two are mysteries. the ped. one was born in sept 2007!
i'm an idiot for not thinking to check and double check their ages. but i got caught up and its too late now. so they are due march 23. they may not have any though.
if they dont kindle i will be trying to sell them to pet homes. the buck i would like to try and keep as i know he is younger then the does. i would like to try breeding him to the meat does when i get em. have some colorful pelts that way. he is harlequin colored. such a cutie too :p

and the dutch doe is due on march 17. keeping my fingers crossed.
i will be giving her a nice break after this litter though before i breed her again.

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OhioGirl,
You may want to wait to give her a break in the winter time. Spring through fall are the times your rabbits will be more receptive. They naturally slow down production in the winter time. Just some food for thought.
I hope your lion heads work out for you.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
citylife said:
OhioGirl,
You may want to wait to give her a break in the winter time. Spring through fall are the times your rabbits will be more receptive. They naturally slow down production in the winter time. Just some food for thought.
I hope your lion heads work out for you.
That would depend on location. Its to hot here to breed in the summer but they do just fine in the winter.

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i have thought of that as well. but this winter has been really really mild. we've had a few days reach 50*F here in february which is usually the month when we get pounded with the worst of the snow.
also they are getting too old to breed anyhow. i'm hoping to get a few kits from them though. i mean i would really love them but i'm not expecting any really. at 4 and a half yrs old most lionhead does are retired or having one kit per litter that is DOA. so i will be ready for kits if they have any. but not real high hopes. if that makes sense...
hoping to replace them with NZ or other meat breed does though. which is more of what i want anyway. so kinda getting somewhere.