I'm new, lost and don't know where to begin

SomeWhere

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Coming from the big city, well paying job, all the frills money can buy to inheriting a delapadated old house on 25 acres and we now need to 'make our own' instead of buying it. Where in the world do we start?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Here's the thing...you can read all the books and websites in the world and they won't prepare you much for what you are heading into because most of the authors of these writings have never lived off grid or tried to homestead in rough situations. It's nice to have a plan and a goal and it's great to do research, but you'll get overwhelmed and bogged down real quick and in a hurry if you try to have it all right now...homesteading is a process and you can do it well and slowly or you can do it poorly and quickly, but very rarely can you do it well and quickly.

I wouldn't get chickens or any other kind of animal right away. That's the least of your worries and priorities. Take stock of your structures and determine if they are livable. Determine if you want to live without electricity and running water...if not, that's a big expense and your first priority. You don't need to be fussing with keeping animals alive when you are figuring out shelter, water and amenities. They take precedence over every other thing.

Establish if your water is good and plentiful...if not, that's a priority.
Establish if your house is structurally sound enough to reside in...if not, that's a priority.
Can you get electric to the house if you want it and find out what you will need to do so...setting poles, obtaining right of way, etc...that's a priority if you want electric.
Septic..it's a biggy if you aren't going to continue to use the outhouse..find out how much it costs, what kind is allowed where you live, etc.
Establish what is allowed in your neighborhood in the way of building, drilling, farming, etc....meet your neighbors.

Meanwhile your family is going to be adjusting to culture shock, environmental shock and just about every kind of shock you can imagine if you've never even went camping before...try to enjoy the discovery of just how little one really needs to live, learn to adapt, have patience and think of things as learning experiences instead of inconveniences. Attitude is a big key to living rough on a homestead...there are trade offs for that kind of life and one has to realize them for what they are and determine if the trade offs are what you really want and can live with for an extended period of time. Try to enjoy the experiences..even the bad ones, for they are the basis of learning.

You'll be busy cleaning up, clearing brush, finding old fences and cleaning out old buildings. You'll need all that time to adjust to your new circumstances, so use the time while you are engaged in these more mundane tasks to make plans for gardens and animals later...but I'd not put one animal on that land until you have taken care of the priorities first...not if you want an easier transition to this new life and don't want to be soon overwhelmed with too many irons in the fire.

Homesteading is a process..go low and slow, consider the big picture and think in terms of years, not days and months.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
It would help if we had a general idea of where you are (zone, area of the country ie, southwest, northeast, etc), goals, experience, and what you have to work with already.

bubba1358

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wow. That's quite an adventure! If I were you, I would invest in some high quality tools now. With all of the work to be done beating back the overgrowth and doing repairs, good tools can be a difference maker.

I'd also break the yearly plans down into monthly plans.

And make sure you water sources are good to go first thing when you arrive.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I recommend the book Back to Basics by Readers digest.

I just moved from Southern Ca. To SW Mo. One thing I recommend before you leave Ca.It to check out Good Will. Look for cold weather clothing. Carhart coveralls and snow clothes. In Ca their dirt cheap. Here their not available.

I think you'll find if its an old homestead it might have outbuildings. I would recommend chickens day one. A simple shed or coop will be sufficient. Storey's guide to chickens will give you all info you need. Not only will they provide eggs but can help in the clean up of the property.

Stick to the basics.

I will be following your progress eagerly.

Gina

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I second that--I am a permies.com lurker!!

So how's it going? Are you closer to moving? Ya know you gotta get back here and give us an update!

bubba1358

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Are you still employed? Making it on your own with a job vs without can impact what's possible. It also affecta your budget.

But again - what are your goals? Do you want to live 100% off tje land starting now? Maybe 3 years from as you ease in? Forget it all, fix it up and sell it?

Or maybe you have no idea, which is cool too.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maybe its just me, but I think you need to get some good farming advice. You should probably change your reading material to something more suited to you current situation. Hopefully you have some good working tools. I'd guess you should begin by cleaning up a bit....anyone can do that.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Start by going to the last page in this forum under all the headings and start reading. Read every last one. Save to your favorites, the links of the topics that really interest or apply to you. Ask questions, we will be more than happy to help you. Also scroll to the bottom of the page if you intend to garden, to www.theeasygarden.com and click on the link. TEG is a sister site and is all about gardening. Between SS and TEG, we got you covered!