In a TOTAL banking meltdown..............

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
LOL, my neighbor was over this weekend and she asked me . . . so what's the deal with the rain barrels . . . I'm thinking "uh, what exactly is your question?" I'm not sure what part she didn't get, so I figured I would just tell her we only use the water on ornamentals because it may not be safe for vegetables.

Well, I'm just not convinced the economy is as rosy as everyone is thinking. I suspect it is getting on summer and "the living is easy" and that things might get a little desperate again when fall settles in. I could, of course, be completely out of my mind. However, when I watch the news I see a disconnect between what the desperate people are doing on the street -- killing armed money truck guards -- and what the people are doing on Wall St. Could just be me.

We are also trying to keep moving forward -- building, learning, growing new crops, etc. I am not stockpiling any more food right now because I have storage space issues. If I get that figured out, I'll start up again.

Reaction score
I have been hearing reports that crime is down overall. Burglaries are up slightly, but overall crime is down. Theory is that a lot of the young people that commit most of the crimes are living with their parents again and have needs taken care of. I know it sounds lame, but the stats are down right now.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That makes me think about something I've been wanting to do for a while. I actually want my mom, my mother-in-law and a my father-in-law to live with us. Not necessarily in this house (3 bedroom). I used to live in England as a kid and it wasn't abnormal for multiple generations to all live under the same roof. I think that is something that is lost on American culture.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Aidenbaby said:
That makes me think about something I've been wanting to do for a while. I actually want my mom, my mother-in-law and a my father-in-law to live with us. Not necessarily in this house (3 bedroom). I used to live in England as a kid and it wasn't abnormal for multiple generations to all live under the same roof. I think that is something that is lost on American culture.
We live essentially on a family compound. Large land, multiple houses. It requires a great deal of tongue biting and diplomacy! Not easy by a long shot and we're not even in the same house. But, we do all have each other to rely on in times of crisis.

Reaction score
Aidenbaby said:
I saw that on Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My life is more like Everyone Loves Raymond! :lol:

But, DH stands up to his mother better!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
"You made cheese? On purpose???"
ROTFLMAO.

Oh no, not on purpose, I just *accidentally* spilled some rennet into some old milk that was standing around, and let it stand at exactly the right temperature for a while, then slipped while I was trying to pick it up and the curd fell apart into even 1/2" cubes, which happened to stir themselves around at exactly the right temperature and then teleported themselves into a drainer and then a cheese mold onto which a stack of books happened to fall...

:p

Pat

sparkles2307

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We are capable of flipping a switch to become self sufficient if things got that bad.

We live paycheck to paycheck already. Have one neighbor who fixes cars, one who raises sheep for meat, one with pigs, we raise our own beef, have chickens...oh and grow corn and wheat. Other neighbors do dairy and grow other grain crops. We all would be able to keep each other alive :) I hate banks anyways, I tend to keep my money in various hiding places...call me paranoid.