In a TOTAL banking meltdown..............

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Inflation is coming- it is inevitable with the amount of money the government is spending. I am guessing/betting by the end of this year things will start being unsustainable and falling apart.

We were going to buy a 17 acre hay field that abuts our property before rates went up. (Unfortunately, the owner wouldn't name a price, we offered what we could afford, owner wants $40k more. And told us the land comes complete with a deeded right of way and two septic systems! No thanks)

So, still trying to figure what I want. I think we are going to put up a real sugar house and get a used evaporator this summer and we will tap more of our Maples next spring. Sugar is always a good bartering item:D

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So far no signs of inflation. Gas prices going down again. Lindsey Williams says oil will crash this fall going to $8 a barrel! Can you believe that? Hard to but so far all his predictions have come true. Now t bills are going to fall as China refuses to finance our debt. We are in deep doo doo. And Arabia cannot purchase t bills if oil is under $80 a barrel so they have been out of that picture for a while on that angle.

Williams says we will be heading for a one world currency, although he does not classify that as one of his predictions, as his predictions had been made on "inside information". He states it is just his opinion.

Land, water rights, gold, silver, and useful items are where its at.

smithx9

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My husband works in banking security for a company that has a number of bank affiliates over the sought east. There have been in increase in ATM robberies....where the robbers actually steal the ATM. In most cases, to don't get away with it.

Some people are becoming desperate.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
smithx9 said:
Some people are becoming desperate.
And I am afraid your going to see it get much worse as things keep on slowing down. I have my ccw and I started carrying 24/7 about 4 months ago. My bro-in-laws church had to start posting armed members of the congregation at all doors during services....and this is north central Ohio, not LA or Chicago or someplace crazy.

Boltstrikes

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
When you allow an industry to accept what they deem the best offer with no threat of regulation or morals this is what you get.

Case in point. Currently there is a fire sale on foreclosed homes. Are these homes going to responsible buyers in need of housing? Of course not, due to a difference in current value and the banks appraisal value, these homes are not qualifying for loans.

So the only buyers are the cash buyers that can pay over a subjective appraisal value. I'm sure some of you are not seeing the problem and only seeing well they are prepared so let them get the spoils.

However, if the cash buyers are the only ones buying then they are also ones setting the rental prices and subsequently raising the appraised value of the homes until regular people can't afford to own their own home responsibly and the industry begins bending rules and qualifying people for more then they can afford. After all the industry is commission based and the higher the turnover the higher the profits.

So have we learned anything from our previous meltdown? Of course not, we're setting it right back up to happen again.

Take the cash out of the system, raise prices, sell to the under qualified, raise interest rates, re-meltdown.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
We are capable of flipping a switch to become self sufficient if things got that bad.

We live paycheck to paycheck already. Have one neighbor who fixes cars, one who raises sheep for meat, one with pigs, we raise our own beef, have chickens...oh and grow corn and wheat. Other neighbors do dairy and grow other grain crops. We all would be able to keep each other alive :) I hate banks anyways, I tend to keep my money in various hiding places...call me paranoid.
I have been thinking about "keeping money in various hiding places" lately...can you guys give me any ideas? If I bury it --what do I bury it in? If I hide it--do I put it in a fireproof container? :idunno

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
noobiechickenlady said:
"You made cheese? On purpose???"
ROTFLMAO.
Oh no, not on purpose, I just *accidentally* spilled some rennet into some old milk that was standing around, and let it stand at exactly the right temperature for a while, then slipped while I was trying to pick it up and the curd fell apart into even 1/2" cubes, which happened to stir themselves around at exactly the right temperature and then teleported themselves into a drainer and then a cheese mold onto which a stack of books happened to fall...
:p
Pat
I love it! Could you have an accident like this at my place next. I have read the process but been chicken. Having somebody experienced to work with the first time would be reassuring. Pleeeaassee .

Sparkles
Your neighborhood barter system is great. It's pretty much what I want to do. Don't have to worry about where to hide the $$$ though. Don't have enough to worry about. :/

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
delia_peterson said:
I have been thinking about "keeping money in various hiding places" lately...can you guys give me any ideas? If I bury it --what do I bury it in? If I hide it--do I put it in a fireproof container? :idunno
Put it in a steel can inside another steel can, insulate between the two cans, and stash it in your freezer. Preferably near the BOTTOM of your freezer......

Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
delia_peterson said:
Put it in a steel can inside another steel can, insulate between the two cans, and stash it in your freezer. Preferably near the BOTTOM of your freezer......
Just make sure it's not too much money. That one guy just got out of the pokey for having 75k in his freezer.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
SKR8PN said:
delia_peterson said:
Just make sure it's not too much money. That one guy just got out of the pokey for having 75k in his freezer.
;) You wont be reading about me in the news anytime soon, lol! but thanks for the ideas...I have wondered about this for awhile...