1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar - I generally use less
4 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 egg

I've used this recipe for years and know it from memory, lol. If you use all the sugar it's a pretty sweet corn bread. If I'm going to use the corn bread for dressing I leave out the sugar all together.

I'll bet Google has some more rustic recipes specifically for fresh ground corn bread...might be worth a try! Whatever you do let us know how it works out!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have one that's similar:
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar - I generally use less
4 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 egg

I've used this recipe for years and know it from memory, lol. If you use all the sugar it's a pretty sweet corn bread. If I'm going to use the corn bread for dressing I leave out the sugar all together.

I'll bet Google has some more rustic recipes specifically for fresh ground corn bread...might be worth a try! Whatever you do let us know how it works out!

Thank You you are alson awesome! Is the "t." A teaspoon or a table spoon? I'm thinking teaspoon.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
CC's Indian Flour Corn Hoe Cakes.

Filling and delicious... topped with melted butter and local honey. It tastes like a real mild fritos corn chip but without all the salt.

IMG_20181120_110508009.jpg

IMG_20181120_110653062.jpg

Edit...

Recipe
Makes 8 hoe cakes
1 cup fresh ground indian flour corn
1 cup all purpose flour
1 T baking soda
1 freshly laid chicken egg
1/3 cup chicken butter (schmaltz)
1 cup whole milk
1 T white vinegar
1 T white or brown sugar
Softened butter
Local honey

Heat iron skillet over very low heat, add 1/3 cup chicken butter. When chicken butter just melts, pour off 1/4 cup and set aside. Return skillet to burner and turn off heat.

Pour 1 cup whole milk into a cup and add 1 T white vinegar. Set aside for 5 minutes (don't stir)

Grind 1 cup indian flour corn, add to bowl, combine 1 T baking soda and 1 T sugar add 1 cup all purpose flour and whisk well. Then add the 1/4 cup of of chicken butter, the milk and vinegar combined earlier. Stir until the consistency of pan cake batter.

Turn heat back on skillet to low to medium heat. Allow skillet to heat up. Skillet is ready when a drop of water sizzles in the skillet.

Drop in 2 T hoe cake batter and cover iron skillet. Fry until golden brown (about 1 minute), then flip and brown the other side. Hoe cakes are done when the center comes out clean inserting a wooden tooth pick. Remove hoe cake from skillet and coat one side with butter. Repeat untill all hoe cakes are done.

Serve drizzled with local honey, eat and enjoy :)

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I call those cornmeal pancakes, the recipe is faintly different.

I make hot water cornbread. It's cornmeal and boiling water to make a paste. You can add either salt or sugar, chopped onion, jalapeno, cream corn...…..but the basic is cornmeal and boiling water.

Patty up or do a drop from a spoon into hot fat. Fry on both sides and eat!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love corn...unfortunately we don't eat a lot of corn products. However I've got some of that colored corn seed that a generous person sent me (thanks again) that I fully intend to plant and harvest and make my own corn cakes and corn bread out of. Eternal optimist and spring is only a couple months away!

Latest posts