Indoor Chickens?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Has anyone had chickens indoors? I am tossing around the idea of getting 3 chicks or young hens and keeping them inside. I have wire "rabbit" cages with plastic pans beneath, metal ex-pens. How much mess can I expect from them? What should I provide for them?

I think I can disguise a chicken tractor for spring. Just thinking about winter for now.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
stinky for sure...no matter how much you clean, stink is stink...LOL

do you have a basement of some kind? I heard of people keeping caged pets in basements.

outside "hide a chicken" coop is best. they love the outdoors truly.

best to wait for spring truly....research and find a good outdoor tractor that is camoflauged and take your time.

if you must, yes you can keep them indoors but for me personally, I would wait. No chickens are coming in my house..LOL...then again, I have 200 and more..LOL

interesting to see if people do house chickens in the house.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have never thought of having my chickens indoors,I don't believe they would be happy. Iam of the mind set of letting them run free. I also don't think I would be happy with the smell and mess. I raised 12 chicks inside this spring, and it was alot of work cleaning up the cage everyday, and I was able the have the windows open for the smell.I and the chicks were never happier than when they were released outside. But hey I have seen people have pet rabbits indoors, so I guess its do-able, I would have a cage with at least a couple of inches high solid walls to help catch some of the mess.and a large pan or something so they can have some scratch in it. Have fun.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am also in the camp of I don't think they would be happy.

You could plan to get day old chicks in Feb and keep them inside for 2 mos....that is about what I did. Actually mine were inside for 5-6 weeks then spent their days out side and we rounded them up and brought them in at night.

Mine spend their days scratching for bugs and lounging in the sun. They would be quite unhappy without those activities!

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I kept a hen in my bedroom as a teenager when she stepped in a leghold trap and hurt her foot. I didn't want her picked on, or getting infected by staying inside the coop. I set up a metal wire dog kennel and lined with with pine shavings, slid the thickest roost I could through the bars. She stayed in there for 2 weeks, as long as you clean the cage regularly and wash the bird when you bring them in from outside; they don't stink more than a cage bird. The pine shavings help dry any poo and I love the smell of them.

She didn't stay in the cage if I was home. She would roam my bedroom as long as I was there to watch her. It was funny because she took an interest in my computer and tried her hardest to perch atop the back of my laptop. They become very petlike in the house, wanting attention and wanting to be near and around you.

Foraging needs can be fulfilled through cage bird toys and treats, they are happy just hanging around you though. I would be on the laptop or watching television and she was content hanging out next to me. As long as you don't keep them caged all the time, they are quite content being indoors.

Keep in mind though, that the laying cycle is determined by the amount of light or dark they get. So keep them in a room they can get plenty of light, either from windows or artificial.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Was she somewhat housetrained? Or did she poop on the floor? My roommate suggested keeping them fairly loose - pet-like.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Its a cute idea, some folks seem to handle indoor chickens better than others (me) :p

I'd like a coop built right up against the house, with the nest boxes about level with my kitchen counters - have a little secret opening right there and I would have to go out in the cold to collect eggs! :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Its a cute idea, some folks seem to handle indoor chickens better than others (me) :p

I'd like a coop built right up against the house, with the nest boxes about level with my kitchen counters - have a little secret opening right there and I would have to go out in the cold to collect eggs! :D
:yuckyuck
I have that same wish, 'sept it would be my horse sticking his head inside the window! :p

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Don't they still cohabitate with their animals in some third world countries??? Or have their living area over the stable area? I remember seeing something about that once.

Everyone stays warm and cozy. Deep liter method at it's best. :p

gina