Indoor Chickens?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Quail are even smaller and very easy to cage raise. They might make a good indoor bird.

Friend Quail .. I think you mean a Cockatoo - Cockatiels are much smaller than most bantams. :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Quail are even smaller and very easy to cage raise. They might make a good indoor bird.

Friend Quail .. I think you mean a Cockatoo - Cockatiels are much smaller than most bantams. :)
Hey, Cockatoo-Cockatiels....they're all Greek to me! Island birds that people captured and have no use...unlike my chickens! :lol: But, some Seramas are only the size of Cockatiels! They are TINY!

:gig

I agree on Quail would make good indoor birds! and you can pickle their eggs!! and eat their meat!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If a ferret smells they're being fed the wrong foods
I am sure this was the reason. I read the label on the food the owners left. Why anyone would feed a carnivore CORN is beyond me!!!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd definately make sure that the cage has a wire bottom and a drop pan. I had banties indoors before. I can only say that you'd have to be careful of the dust. There was just SO much dust. It was a constant battle of dusting, and I mean CONSTANT. If I didn't dust one day, you could write on everything.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
If a ferret smells they're being fed the wrong foods
I am sure this was the reason. I read the label on the food the owners left. Why anyone would feed a carnivore CORN is beyond me!!!
Yep, I agree! Mine are on a grain free kibble.

You do know my post was mostly tongue in cheek :p I was no where near offended LOL :D

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Our basement is very dry :D And we had a big shop light down there for her that went on at 6am and off about 8pm (which is why she started laying in the winter- and we didn't expect it to find the eggs). She also had a radio on for "company". If we didn't also have Jack Russell Terriers who are NOT to be trusted with anything remotely prey-like, she might have spent the winter in the sunroom instead. ;)

And, no bad thoughts on ferrets! I LOVED my "ferts" when my kids had them. We had a 3 story room sized cage for them, and let them run around in the kids' bedrooms away from the dogs. I never laughed so much in my life than watching those little bandits steal a stuffed animal and try to drag it under the dresser :lol:

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
I'd definately make sure that the cage has a wire bottom and a drop pan. I had banties indoors before. I can only say that you'd have to be careful of the dust. There was just SO much dust. It was a constant battle of dusting, and I mean CONSTANT. If I didn't dust one day, you could write on everything.
Dust? From where? I can see if they take dust baths and shake all over. I have one that is molting. When she comes in at night, a few feathers may fly around but that is about it. My chickens have almost no dander. Definately, not like a dog or cat.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have two chickens inside today. They are in a wire rabbit cage with a pan beneath. I had some 2" bamboo pieces from a papasan chair I cut apart. I pulled those out of my wood pile to give them something to stand on.

So far, so good.

I have to tame them down some more. They squawk when I need to catch them. Not good for the neighbors to hear! My favorite one is taming down nicely - it is only a couple of months old.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tortoise said:
I have two chickens inside today. They are in a wire rabbit cage with a pan beneath. I had some 2" bamboo pieces from a papasan chair I cut apart. I pulled those out of my wood pile to give them something to stand on.
Make sure that your chickens have a solid bottom to stand on. Full grown standard chickens are too heavy and cut their feet on wire bottoms.

edited for typos

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Also, try and get a extra large dog crate. A spacious place to move around will make your chickens much happier and get them to calm down.

I wish I could give you advice on taming chickens. Mine were held from young chickhood. They do love to cuddle and sit on my lap watching television. So, chickens can become as gentle and loving as housecats.