Indoor Chickens?

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Was she somewhat housetrained? Or did she poop on the floor? My roommate suggested keeping them fairly loose - pet-like.
Nope, no house training. I just took my chances. LOL

If she were to stay in the house for any longer that a temporary stay, they make diapers for birds. All they way up to geese sized. If you keep 2-3 hens inside, I would definately invest in some diapers. Hose them off, and then run them through the wash. Many people keep house ducks and geese this way.

Not sure if chickens can be house trained. I've "heard" about it, something about litter training a rooster or something like that, but as far as I know, they can't be housetrained. There's a first for everything. LOL

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Don't they still cohabitate with their animals in some third world countries???
Like cormorants in china?
arts-graphics-2008_1185920a.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
If I find a home for my rabbit-killing dog (adoption pending - cross fingers), I'll have a 10x10 area surrounded by wooden privacy fence. It's tucked in behind my house, so noise doesn't carry too much. If/when the dog goes, I'll have a place where they can go outdoors.

What do I need in a coop? I'd prefer something that is about waist high and hangs on the fence. Is that practical?

Am I going to need to put a roof or netting over this fenced area? Do they really fly around that much?

*sigh* I have A LOT of reading and learning to do.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I totally would do that! I'm a dog trainer! :lol: I've been meaning to train my rabbits, or maybe a mouse, but I never have the time. MY dog isn't even trained. :rolleyes:

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Don't they still cohabitate with their animals in some third world countries??? Or have their living area over the stable area? I remember seeing something about that once.

Everyone stays warm and cozy. Deep liter method at it's best. :p

gina
I would love to live over my stable :p

We had an indoor chicken last winter- she was appearing sick and staggering, losing weight, and we moved her indoors to nurse her and make sure she was hydrated and eating and so the other girls couldn't pick on her. By the time she was walking straight and looked healthy, it was mid-winter and she had lost any cold acclimatization she had once had. So, we kept her in. She had the run of the basement pretty much, we cleaned poop daily, had a hay nest in one corner and a radio for company (SO's idea :cool:). She went back out this spring and was re-introduced to the flock. When she went out and we cleaned up the basement we found where she hid 27 eggs in a pile of horse blankets on a table. :lol:

So, it is do-able.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
stinky for sure...no matter how much you clean, stink is stink...LOL
I disagree that chickens are inheriantly smelly animals. Chickens are no smellier than indoor cats, rabbits, rats, finches or parrots. If you have proper housing and bedding, it shouldn't be a problem. Our chickens sleep indoors in a extra large dog crate. We put an absorbant bedding in the crate - most good dog crates have antimicrobial plastic bottoms that cut down on additional smell - and change it every morning. For a while, we were using timothy grass. Just switch over to Carefresh paper bedding. Both work equally well. You can put a layer of DE on the bottom of their crate/housing for extra insurance. To be honest, unless you tell someone there is chickens in the house, they wouldn't even notice.

Our chickens have always come inside at night and in bad weather. So, they do know how to act in the house. I think that will be your intial problem. However, they are smart animals and learn fast. Eventually, they won't act any different from other housepets. You can also litterbox train them. Haven't tried it yet. There are also chicken diapers

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The stinkiest indoor animal I ever encountered was a ferret. :sick Fortunately I was only pet sitting...LOL. WAY stinkier than my brooder with 3 ducklings.