Indoor Herbs?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I almost posted this in the recycling section, but then I realized I had a question, too, so I figured I'd just post it here.

I am so excited about my recycling triumph! :weee :weee :weee
Thursday driving home I noticed that there were a lot of pots that were along the side of the road, like they had been blown out of a truck and landed along the park property. I asked the barn manager to please have any volunteer for the weekend clean it up, and save me any pots that weren't damaged in the tumble onto the side of the road. I got home from our trip and discovered that there were a number of them that survived being on the side of the road for a few days, and among them was a 12" hen and biddies pot! I was shocked that it survived the fall without getting broken. My grandmother always had hen and biddies at her house, and I've been fond of them. Besides, the pots are cool.

So my question is this: Can I use this pot to plan a couple different kinds of herbs in? It probably has 6 or 8 "pockets" in the side of the pot, plus the top. I don't want to crowd it, but I would like to use it. I killed my very first parsley plant because I didn't water it enough, and I think the pot might have still been too small. My mom said that she's never had success keeping herbs indoors. Does anyone have any suggestions??? I'm a probably-not-so-green-thumb, so easy is good!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I keep thyme, basil, and oregano, on my kitchen windowsill. I think I've killed the thyme though :hu

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We killed the two herbs we brought in, by accident of course.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Killing thyme...doesn't everybody do that?! :p

I think DD murdered it. Death by drowning in hot dishwater. She never owned up to it, but I am almost sure that's what happened. They were very easy to grow. I bought the oregano and thyme, and started the basil from seed myself. The basil and oregano survives to this day :cool:

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
herbs by their very nature tend to get large and crazy when happy...however if your carefull about planting verieties that need similar water heat and light, carefull about actually watering and keep them pruned pinch the tops to keep them smaller and bushy and remove any extra growth once they reach a comfortable keeping size you can deifnatly use that pot for herbs.

my suggestion though would be to use it as a starter pot, put your herbs in let them grow then transplant them outside, then as the cooler weather comes in take cuttings dip in rooting hormone and use the pot to keep them alive over the winter, hopefully your herbs would survive outside as well to regrow in the spring, but then each spring youd have extras if you managed to keep them alive without having them get pot bound. most herbs like to spread their roots...so by using it as a winter grow out pot youll pribably get the best results rahter than trying to keep them in the pot year round 24/7.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The big problem I have with growing in a small pot inside is that you never seem to have enough When you need them. basil, and oregano, maybe enough for a small pot of sauce but when I spend time on sauce I want a big pot, it is agood keeper ~gd

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Chives grow good inside. My mom gave me rosemary,but I think I have killed one plant.Very touchy thing.The chives though have taken a beating(or ripping) and grow right back.

LittleRoosterCroft

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am starting my seeds for herbs this week. I have a hen and chicks pot (I think that is what it is) and I am setting up my aquaponics system.

So, no answer or advice for you but I'll be doing it with you!