Infection

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ugh! Last thing I needed right now. One thing I inherited genetically from my mother and her parents is bad teeth. While each generation is getting better, we've got what some call "chalk teeth". Can brush and floss all you want, the enamal is thin and if you get a cavity, kiss that tooth good by. My mother had her first set of dentures by the time she was 13. I started loosing teeth when I was 25. At first it wasn't so bad, was a few wisdom teeth. I did what the dentist wanted, had a root canal, cap, crown, all that jazz. Only to have the tooth literly shatter while eating popcorn one day.

I was out about a year and half ago having dinner with a friend, during the first course, of soup and a roll, went to take a bit out of the roll and the eye tooth (fang) on upper left side of my mout snapped off. I know eventually I'll need dentures, but right now this issue is this. That tooth is infected...again. This happened once before. You forget the tooth isn't there and go about eating normally. Well, Sunday, the fourth, while at a picnice I was eating some corn on the cob.... You know the rest. Now the tooth hurts like heck, and my face is starting to swell a bit.

No insurance and no money, not much I can do that I know of. Other then I'm taking some Ibuprofin and doing anbesol popcycles. This happened once before. But at the time I was still taking my mother to see her onocolgist. This sweet lil old lady (really reminded me of Dr. Ruth), was sympathetic to our situation and all. So she would prescribe medication for me under my mother's name. In this case, antibiotics. I don't have this luxury any longer, any home remedies that are recomended?

Just so you know, I'm not stupid. If it get's really bad, I'm 4 blocks from a hospital, and of course there's always 911 if nessary... Just as soon avoid that right now, but can't take time off from doing more important things right now

Thanks,

Jax

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
!
I'm waiting eagerly to see other's replies, too. :pop (no pun intended with the popcorn!)
I have no enamel, was cursed with that abnormality, so I'm very fortunate that I have any teeth at all. My mother also had dentures at an early age, about 15. I hate having horrid teeth! At least they aren't noticeable when I smile..

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I hate to cause alarm, but I'm really concerned about the risks to your heart, a known problem with oral infections. I hope someone has an answer for you soon!

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do you have a primary care doctor or dentist that you could call? If you have seen them in the last 1 year they can call in an ATB for you.
Do you have a free/low cost clinic or a prompt care type clinic close by? The prompt care vist is usually around $100. I know that's a lot but better than the $800 ER. You have to take care of the infection ASAP. They can get bad very fast and any infection in this area of the body can be dangerous to your heart. The types of infections that tend to grow in the mouth like to migrate to the heart valves and take up residence..This is Bad...
Try Ice packs over the area for the pain.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, get this thing taken care of!! Big Brown Horse had a friend pass away from the bacteria that a simple cleaning released into his blood stream!

Dr. Tichenors mouthwash diluted with salt water. It tastes like what I imagine demon butt would taste like, but it works.

I also have a few horrible teeth, had missing permanent incisors. My baby incisors fell out & my permanent canines moved over into their spot. The baby canines that are now 30+ years old have been deteriorating. I had a minor infection flare up in one, used antibiotics to clear it up, then started using the mouthwash as a stop gap until I could afford the dental work I need and I have not had a problem with infection since. This was a little over 2 years ago. I go next week for my first set of appointments with the dental school, yay!

Also works as a gargle for throat/sinus infections.

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can also rinse with hydrogen peroxide diluted half strength with plain water. Rinse with that, then a few minutes later rinse with salt water.

I know all about dental issues. I have spent a fortune on trying to keep my teeth over the past couple decades. Now I'm saving up to have them taken out. The dentist said it's either that, or about $15, 000 in dental work, with no guarantees that the teeth will last. I have MUCH MORE INTERESTING things to spend $15,000 on, if I ever have that much at once anyway.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
and dental problems will make your thin or even worse fall out believe me i am going thru some serious rosemary in my house to rectify the hair loss

for the pain keep chewing on some onions but keep the onion near the tooth in your mouth it wont taje care of bad breath but it will take care of the pain

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i will never ever ever use peroxide again

after using it for about a week my tooth brkoe in half from eating a sammich but then again i never diluted it i figured it happened because there muswt have been a hairline crack int he tooth and the bubbles that peroxide must have split the crack even further

cjparker said:
You can also rinse with hydrogen peroxide diluted half strength with plain water. Rinse with that, then a few minutes later rinse with salt water.

I know all about dental issues. I have spent a fortune on trying to keep my teeth over the past couple decades. Now I'm saving up to have them taken out. The dentist said it's either that, or about $15, 000 in dental work, with no guarantees that the teeth will last. I have MUCH MORE INTERESTING things to spend $15,000 on, if I ever have that much at once anyway.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
I hate to cause alarm, but I'm really concerned about the risks to your heart, a known problem with oral infections. I hope someone has an answer for you soon!
I got that T shirt....... The Dr said that was a portion of what caused my heart attack. My teeth aren't that bad, but I had some gum issues that I let go to long. My dentist and I have that all cleared up now, but it sure as heck isn't anything you want to fool around with. I don't know how old you are Jax, but get your arse to the dentist and get it taken care of BEFORE it creates much larger problems for you.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Everybody is right about the other medical complications with tooth infections. We only have the angel clinic that helps the under employed but not the unemployed. My father had a few teeth removed by the local Marquette dental school at 1/3rd the cost. That was in Milwaukee so look for a school near you. http://www.marquette.edu/dentistry/patients/FeesandInsurance.shtml

Just had the same horrendous pain a few months ago. After 2 weeks of misery I did find a sympathetic dentist who pulled two back molars all inclusive for $84 cash.

I took 800mg of Ibuprofen to deaden the pain and when really bad let a paste of aspirin dissolve on it and is what worked best, use aspirin with caution as it is an anticoagulant.

I tried a few homeopathic remedies I found online and didn't notice much of a difference, steeping a black teabag quickly in hot water then squeezing out the excess water is suppose to draw the infection out when placed near the tooth. Garlic is suppose to be a natural antibiotic and gargled often with that and warm salt water seemed fairly effective.

One good thing that is of no consolation is that upper teeth are embedded in a more spongy bone then the lowers helping the infection drain if it caused by an open cavity, it also makes pulling them much easier too. I actually put a pliers on mine once because the pain was so bad, I chickened out but did pull on it which seemed to have relieved the pressure a bit and the pain subsided.

I know too much peroxide on an open wound can cause more damage as it can kill the surrounding healthy cells as well. Don't know about using it in the mouth though.