Infection

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have bad teeth as well. I have very soft teeth, I didn't get enough calcium while my mum was pregnant with me which caused soft teeth. I can get cavities just LOOKING at food. I have to use flouride and currently I don't have insurance so I can't afford to have the cavities I do know of filled (I have a freaking hole in one tooth, basicaly, its not infected or anything but its annoying. Actually, its not even a sweet tooth).. To top it off, all of my wisdom teeth have cavities and need pulling but I cannot afford the $400 per tooth PLUS the $350 for the sedation to have them removed just yet.

I have no ideas or recommendations for you, but trust me... I totally understand how frustrating it can be.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Just curious - does lack of calcium during gestation have an effect on secondary teeth 6 years out of the womb?

How about giving the op some horror stories to get his butt in action.
Many a year back I had a badly infected molar, local anesthetics had no effect as the infection blocks it numbing action and sedation was not an option them.

The doctor said it was too badly infected to wait for an antibiotic to work and had to pull it "cowboy style" the nurse literally grabbed my head in a double forearm lock and the doctor said he had to get a good grip as he only had one shot at it and if broke would have to go to the hospital.

It was the most excruciating pain I have ever endured, thankfully for only 5 seconds at most then it was total bliss. I put up with that pain for a month and in 5 seconds it was gone. I thanked the doctor profusely and warned him about catching him alone in a dark alley.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Although you may have a genetic predisposition for dental problems you also may have a genetic predisposition for strong reactions to fluroide. Make sure you never drink another drop of fluroide again as it does to teeth exactly what you are experiencing. Also do not drink diet soda as that leaches calcium from the teeth as well as bones.

This is a page from my blog. you will find lots of choices here
http://www.healthsalon.org/453/cavi...-breath-how-to-prevent-and-cure-oral-disease/.

I also recommend a gargle with mms and this page wil tell you about my friends experience with mms gargle.... oh well, cant find it right now. He gargled with mms daily for a week then had a test done to measure bacteria and none were found. His dentist was stunned. MMS gargle should only be used for one or two weeks at a time, then only once a week. Use the other recommendations on the above link

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I've dealt with this recently. :he The pain made me desperate. Did some research since I avoid using pharmaceuticals and couldn't go to a dentist yet. Here's some of the tips.
Gargle with salt water.
Goldenseal is a traditional herb for tooth problems, but I will warn you, that it tastes Nasty.
Cat's claw
I also had some germ fighting tea around the house that I was using.
otc pain reliever - I had to have some pain reliever at night or the pain kept me from sleeping.
Once the infection was under control- the pain went away. Took me about a week. Still waiting on the dentist appointment, but I feel okay at least.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:caf

Watching this thread. I have a two teeth that are bad and cant go to a dentist cause I have no insurance. I might just have to be like my dad, and pull them myself when the time comes.. LOL

I hope some one comes up with a natural way to get rid of infections. I have a constant 24/7 sinus infection. No matter how much antibiotics a doc would give me for it. The only time it was helped was when I had a c-section and they hooked me up to antibiotics straight to the vein.

I hate not being able to go to a doc. I know how you feel. I was once told my nose needs surgery to make the infection go away. I also need knee surgery. Some times I can barely walk.

Im to young for all these problems.. Grrrr...

Hope you find some relief soon.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Tooth infections and sinus infection could be the same germs. Infections can move between those areas. I was using pau d'arco, olive leaf, and goldenseal among others in my tea and had good results.
Check to see if there are any dental school programs around you. The rates are much cheaper. Or see if any there are any charity medical programs near you.
I know some people have taken out a bad tooth, but the infection would still be a factor. Be careful about that.

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, I know this is serious. Very...deadly serious. Pain isn't as bad as it was 24 hours ago. Still tender, and I'm not about to go eating any corn on the cob or taffy anytime soon. LOL! Problem now is, it's swollen. Need to get that down. I'll re-read through this thread again for suggestions on that too. I had this happen once before, much more severely, to the point I couldn't see out my left eye my face was so swollen. Besides the infection, and slight flushness/tempurature, I can't sleep. Just can't get comfortable in any possition.

For the record, I'll be 45 in August. Now for the bad news. I'm 6' 315lbs and I also stupid enough to smoke. Ironically, about two weeks ago, I was doing some community service work (part of my agreement to recieve general assistance from city) at a health fare. I talked to a dentist, because I know I need to get some work done. Her suggestion was as others have said is a local dental college. Right now I just can't get there. No money for bus and my truck is still not working.

I know, because I had a tooth pulled about a year and half ago, that it only costs $150 to pull on, that's not bad. So I'm hoping if I make enough on an the estate sale I've been talkinga bout, I can have three or four of the really bad ones pulled at once. If I can get to the dental college that could be done for free even. Just a matter of getting there. But from that experince a year and half ago, no dentist I know will touch the tooth until the infection is brought under control.

Right now I'm pumping in fluids (fruit juices) and vitamin C tabs. I think I might have some goldenseal around here some place, have to check into that. Also applying cold packs to help keep swelling and temps in check. Now if I could only sleep, I'd be really happy! Not very easy to eat either. I tried having a pb&j sandwich yesterday, think more ended up on me and the floor then in my mouth. :(

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I just read in my Foxfire book that they used to put a few drops of pure vanilla extract right on the painful tooth. Not sure if it will help, however it seems harmless enough to give it a try.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Clove oil -- a drop or three applied directly to the affected tooth -- is a traditional partial-remedy for toothache pain. Won't do a lot for *infection* though, per se, as far as I know.

Infection is more frequent and worse in those with, ah, blood sugar control issues, which in turn often goes hand-in-hand with being overweight, so in the long run, to the extent that you can reduce weight and get blood sugar and insulin/hormone function back in better order, that is likely to help reduce the frequency and severity of tooth infections etc.

If you have money to smoke, you have money for a bus to get to the dental college. REally really ;)

Good luck,

Pat