injured poult

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
when i was moving the pen about 30 mins ago, one of my 4 week old Bourbon Red poults got it's foot caught and it ripped the top of it's foot open. as far as i can tell, there isn't any structural damage to the foot, but a large flap of skin was ripped off (well, it's still attached on one end). i brought it inside, cleaned the wound well with water and then peroxide. it was bleeding pretty profusely, which scared the dickens out of me. i slathered it with neosporin really good to help stop the bleeding and wrapped it with gauze and surgical tape.

the poult, which is now in my bathtub, seems ok. it's walking around a bit, but it also holds it's foot up some- i can't tell if that is from being injured or from all the bandaging. i've not seen it eat or drink yet, but it hasn't had much time, so i'm not worried about that yet.

so, other than keeping the wound clean, is there anything else i need to be doing? should i worry about tetanus? is there something i can do for that? the chicken wire is brand new so i'm hoping it can't be too bad. i've never had an injured baby, so i'm especially paranoid- it doesn't help that these are my first turkeys and i keep reading that they often drop dead from nothing...

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
you're doing just fine. i'm not sure you can do anything about tet anyway... so good is good.

turkey are weird and he probably thinks there is something on his foot - which is why he is holding it up. extra protein (hard boiled egg) and maybe some yogurt are always good medicine.

just keep him dry and remember that turks tend to need more warmth.

let us know if he starts panting, huddling, or acting like he is in pain.

just so's ya know... last year we did a 'surgery' on one of our hens and cut her foot open. she healed up basically over nite and aside from being totally mad.. was just fine.

good job!

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have absolutely nothing useful to add. I just wanted to offer up a hug and best wishes that your baby heals well and quickly. I've only recently discovered how emotionally straining raising birds from babies is, so I completely sympathize with your stress.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thanks guys! i knew i'd get a better and faster response here than over on BYC....

he doesn't seem upset or uncomfortable, so i'm thinking things are good. i'll make him an egg, though.

i've just been kicking myself since this really was my fault. they haven't gotten used to the whole "this pen moves and we should get out of it's way" thing yet, so i usually get someone to help me move it. i was in a hurry and just moved it myself and sliced the poor little guys foot open... bad mommy.

do you think i should give the little guy a heat lamp since he's by himself now? they've been in the tractor for a week without any additional heat and they've seemed to be doing fine. they pile up to sleep at night, but not dangerously so- it's been in the high 60s-mid 70s at night here. what's funny is that the chicks all sleep in one pile and the turkeys all sleep in another, like they are segregated. they are so silly.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
these things happen so take off that 'blame boot' and stop kicking yourself. he's going to be just fine

start with a regular light bulb at one end of the tub and see if he sits under it... then you can gauge if he needs more.

:)

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
stop kicking yourself. he's going to be just fine
thanks ofg. i've been having a run of bad farm luck, so blaming myself has become my favorite pastime. trying to wear my big girl panties and get over it.

i just went and redressed his foot. the bleeding has stopped, so i'm feeling much better. i had tried to fold the skin back over the wound the first time, but i think it's going to die and have to come off- it's shrinking and won't cover the wound now. any opinions on whether it's better to wait for it to die before removing it or cutting it off now?

what about superglue? i use it all the time on small cuts, but i've never used it to keep a skin flap in place. is it effective for that or is it best to just leave it open to the air to do whatever it will do?

**must remember to pick up some bloodstop and vet wrap when i'm in town next. this would happen exactly when i've let the med supplies lapse...**

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Gary made our chicken tractor when I first got hens and zestfully tried it out with all hens in it. One of them got her foot hung and broke a toe. I only wish I had known I could have put a splint on it. But, she's fine, just a crocked toe - live and learn. Your little turk with be fine.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
any opinions on whether it's better to wait for it to die before removing it or cutting it off now?
i'd let it die off allow it to dry out/die. this is what we did for poor Turkey Bob who got pecked so badly he was basically scalped.

careful not to 'over doctor' - remember that nature takes care of her own. the skin will be dried out by tomorrow then you can remove it without hurting him (think of when you pulled off 'loose' skin from a cut too soon).

just repack with lots of neosporin and re-wrap. he probably thinks he died and went to turkey heaven where he's waited on hand and foot and gets to live a luxury!

**must remember to pick up some bloodstop
this is what happened with us and Little Nibbles!
http://adventuresinthegoodland.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-not-to-trim-hooves-and-then-what-to.html

i learned that baking soda works really well in a pinch

you're doing just fine

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
he probably thinks he died and went to turkey heaven where he's waited on hand and foot and gets to live a luxury!
yeah, especially when i made him a nest out of a hand towel and basically tucked him in. i rubbed his back till he fell asleep... boy am i glad no one was here to see that!

eta: these turkeys haven't been handled hardly at all since i got them (and i'm guessing the Amish folks i got them from weren't coddlers). this little poult is probably going to end up a keeper since i get horribly attached to anything i have to doctor. poor gimpy little Madeline hasn't laid an egg in 3 weeks and yet i take her treats and snuggle her everyday. if one of the other hens pulled this crap, she'd probably be stew... THIS is exactly why i decided my childhood dream of being a vet was not a good idea.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hee hee hee thats how Turkey Bob got a pass...he helps me milk every nite and we banded him a different color so we'd know who he was