injured poult

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well, this morning things are looking pretty good. the wound is looking better, but his foot is badly discolored. i know it's just from bruising, but it's a sight that makes your tummy wobble for a second from fear. i'm pretty sure it can't be infection- there is no swelling, red puckering, or puss and the foot and leg aren't hot to the touch. so far so good, i think.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
is he trying to walk on it yet?

No puss, swelling, or feeling hot to the touch are all good signs. :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I would leave it unwrapped at this point...most wounds do better with air. Especially since he is in a sanitary environment. Sounds like he can go back with the flock pretty soon....the sooner, the better, so he will be accepted again and not considered a stranger. Sounds like you are doing a great job with him...er...her?

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
he's walking around, but with a bit of a limp still. still eating and pooping like a champ.

i left the bandage off for several hours yesterday evening, but i wrapped it back up when i went to bed last night. i don't want to bathe him and stress him out, so i didn't want him laying on the wound with his questionably clean undercarriage. i left it off again after i cleaned it this morning, but i still slathered it with neosporin. do you think i should cut back on the neosporin and just use it at night? i don't know how much air can get through that goo, but i would imagine it's not much.

for now, he's a him, irregardless of actual gender. for some reason, chicks are girls to me and poults are boys- i think it's those long legs and necks... anyone an expert at sexing turkeys from photos? :)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
sounds like you are doing a great job!

and post pix anyway - we love to see babies!!

:)

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i'm trying to figure out how to get pics up. my parents borrowed my good camera to take on vacation and i can't find the cord for the crappy one... i'll keep looking and hopefully get some pics up soon.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
someone on BYC said not to use peroxide because it kills living tissue. they said to use saline instead. well, the only saline i have laying around is emergency eye wash (99.05% purified water, inactive ingredients: boric acid, sodium borate, and sodium chloride). is this ok? i figured if it's safe enough for eyes it should be safe enough for a wound...

i could make some saline solution, but if this will work i'd rather just use it since it's in a nice squeeze bottle.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
If there is still a flap of skin, perhaps you can use superglue to close it up???
Once you can clean it all up and get the neosporin off, I'd consider the super glue.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
someone on BYC said not to use peroxide because it kills living tissue.
this is true... but it may be over cautious. do you have betadine??? thats a good option also and doenst bother the living tissue either.

however

i went to buy some betadine and found out it was $15 a bottle!!! so i asked the pharmacist if there was another option... she said rubbing alcohol. of course thats the same as peroxide... and boy did she get a laugh when i finally fessed up to what to what is was for... one of the hens!

i could hear them cackling as i walked out of the store. sheesh!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
poor little guy had been peeping pretty regularly since yesterday. he wasn't agitated, just seemed lonely. a stuffed dog really seemed to do the trick- he's cuddled up with it now and hasn't made a sound in hours. poor little cute thing!