injured poult

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh my! what a great idea for my own injured little guy! I have and brand new stuffed dog toy that would likely make him feel much better, Thanks So Much!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Accidents happen. I think you are being a good Mama to him/her. One word of warning. He might not want to go back to his coop soon. He could get spoiled like this.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Don't beat yourself up over the accident. Of course that is easier said than done. I keep wondering what I could have done differently to have prevented my baby goats from getting sick :rolleyes:

Per my vet (a poultry guy), he said to use peroxide for the initial cleaning and then use saline solution or diluted (with water to look like tea) betadine or diluted iodine to wash the wound. It should be ok to keep using the neosporin (without aspirin). Saline eye solution is an expensive saline solution, ok to use on wounds. If your are cleaning a comb or something else on the head by the way, my vet advised using contact lens saline solution, just in case it gets into the eyes.

I am sure he'll be ok. I don't have much experience with turkeys, but I have had to doctor a lot of chickens.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
poor little guy had been peeping pretty regularly since yesterday. he wasn't agitated, just seemed lonely. a stuffed dog really seemed to do the trick- he's cuddled up with it now and hasn't made a sound in hours. poor little cute thing!
that is the cutest thing i've ever heard!

hows he doing today?
:)

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
he's doing well. foot is looking good. the skin flap is actually still there and not looking like it's going anywhere. i guess there was enough blood flow and i got it fixed up fast enough. he's limping a bit less too.

his foot and leg are a bit warm today, but the other leg was too, so i'm thinking he may have just been sleeping before i went in there and they were nice and toasty under him. still no redness or swelling, so i'm feeling good.

i've been leaving it unbandaged and it's starting to scab, which is another good sign. neosporin only at night now.

dragonlaurel said:
One word of warning. He might not want to go back to his coop soon. He could get spoiled like this.
i'm seriously worried about that. i WILL NOT have a house turkey. will not, will not, will not. (i think i'm mostly convincing myself it's a bad idea...)

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
i WILL NOT have a house turkey. will not, will not, will not. (i think i'm mostly convincing myself it's a bad idea...)
Oh come now! You could leash train him, take him to town and go in places like PetSmart or whatnot.. it could be fun :gig

So glad to hear he is improving!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
little guy was lonely last night so i brought him to watch tv with me. he snuggled up in the towel and feel right asleep. he sat with me for almost 2 hrs until i finally decided he needed to eat.

he had been shivering when i picked him up, but he stopped soon after being snuggled in the towel. i guess the 100w bulb wasn't keeping it warm enough in the tub. i switched it to a 250w heat bulb and he seemed happy about that.

i think i'll send him back to the pen tomorrow. his foot is looking good (except for all the bruising) and he's barely limping now. i just don't want him to be lonely- the stuffed dog can only do so much!

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So glad to hear he is on the mend! Before you know it, he will be strutting around like nothing happened. :D

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i think i'll send him back to the pen tomorrow
hee hee hee after all that snuggling??!!?!? hee hee hee i think you are totally sucked in! whooot!

um.. so what's his name??