Instant Pot?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I tested out the 180 degree pasteurize function to make EGGNOG. So much easier than stovetop! And I didn't feel physically terrible after making it. winning!

I tried whole "boiled" potatoes. Super easy. No need to chop potatoes, no worry about a pot boiling over, and I could make a bigger batch than on the stovetop. Turn it on and forget it. I made a big bowl of mashed potatoes. :love

I have an attempt at hard-boiled eggs going. I might try a batch of yogurt yet tonight.

I have no idea who is going to eat all this food! :gig

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
:celebrate:ep

Have you ever had a problem with farm eggs where you just c.a.n.n.o.t. peel a hard boiled farm egg? I haven't had hard boiled eggs for years since we couldn't find a solution to the problem.

Instant Pot hard boiled eggs. Peeled shells off easiest I've ever experienced with any egg/method. Shocked.

Y'all need one of these.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I need to break mine out and pressure cook a few cockerels. I'm thinking shredded black chicken taco sound good.

I don't have any issues peeling hard cooked eggs laid that day so I won't bother using the instant pot for them. It's 15 minutes from turn on the water to peeling for silkie eggs on the stove and silkie eggs are all I really get now.

I used to make yogurt in the gas oven when we lived at this one apartment. Pilot light kept it perfect temp. I have a yogurt maker with tiny pots, but I'll have to try in the instant pot. Make up some yogurt cheese.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Instant Pot hard boiled eggs. Peeled shells off easiest I've ever experienced with any egg/method. Shocked.
Fresh eggs? Really Fresh Eggs? OMG - I'll order one tomorrow! That's just about all the recommendation I need, lol. I hate doing fresh eggs...darn near impossible.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Fresh eggs? Really Fresh Eggs? OMG - I'll order one tomorrow! That's just about all the recommendation I need, lol. I hate doing fresh eggs...darn near impossible.
They were laid 12/3 - 12/5. Not super-fresh. I might try again with same-day-fresh eggs and see what happens! I peeled 14 eggs in 8 minutes. Craaaa-zy!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not to high Jack the thread, it sounds like an awesome appliance, but none of you put vinegar in the boiling water when u boil eggs?

My wife boils eggs laid same day and they peel super easy without damage. I don't know how she does it but she does use vinegar. An old woman told her how.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Vinegar didn't work for me. :idunno There's an old thread someplace about all the wierd tricks to peel fresh eggs. Never had luck with any of them and then I gave up on hardboiled eggs.

Vinegar makes sense though! If you leave a chicken bone in vinegar, the calcium leaches out and the bone gets floppy and gelatiny. Makes sense that it would have similar effect on an egg shell. Maybe i didn't use enough vinegar. IDK

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I never have issues except for the one hen who's whites stick to the membrane and must be scooped out with a finger when raw. I don't hard cook her eggs. Baking or scrambled only.

I bring water to boil. Slip eggs in and as soon as water shows signs of returning to a boil, temp is dropped to a simmer and timer set. 10 minutes for a silkie egg and 15 for a jumbo. Drain water. Gently crack eggs and run cold water over for a moment. Peel under running water.

I rarely have eggs over a week old in the fridge. They become raven bribes by that time. (Ravens chase the hawks off)