1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Container Grown Potatoes?- Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Instant Pot?

Discussion in 'The Homestead Kitchen - Recipes Etc' started by tortoise, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Dec 14, 2017
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

Does anyone here use an Instant Pot? What is your favorite homesteading recipe?

2. Dec 14, 2017
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

I broke down and ordered one because 1) I can burn everything in a crockpot, 2) burnt dry venison roast in a crockpot is gross, 3) I hope it will help me cook more by eliminating stovetop cooking that I can't do most the time because of health problems.

Apparently Instant Pot can cook hunks of meat without even thawing them out first?!

I'm excited to try the yogurt maker function. I have trouble keeping yogurt warm enough for the whole incubation period.

3. Dec 14, 2017
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

I've never even heard of an instant pot. I am searching for a yogurt maker for milking season though....

How do you burn things in a crockpot? That's like a whole new talent!

sumi likes this.
  4. Dec 14, 2017
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

Yes, I am verrry talented at burning food. If it was a marketable skill, I'd be rich. :gig

I haven't seen yogurt makers that can make a whole pot at a time. I tried using a crockpot to incubate yogurt with instructions I found online. Didn't work out well. My mom has a system rigged up that involves yogurt-cultured milk in mason jars in a cooler filled with hot water and blanketed. Or something. It's complicated and I get lost in the details.

5. Dec 14, 2017
    NH Homesteader

Yeah someone tried to explain a similar method to me, but I've never felt comfortable relying on blankets or hot water bottles to make dairy products! My husband found one that makes a few jars at a time, which is all I need!

It's OK... I don't think I've ever not overcooked poultry in my life so... We're even lol!

6. Dec 14, 2017
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

Instant Pot has arrived. IT CAN PASTUERIZE MILK! I'm officially in love. And I need to get a dairy goat doeling this spring?

7. Dec 14, 2017
    NH Homesteader

Oh that's awesome. Now I need to look it up!

8. Dec 15, 2017
    Britesea

Britesea Super Self-Sufficient

I got something similar- it's a Vita-Clay Smart Multi-Crock n' Stock Pot. Not quite a crock pot as it's not as vapor-tight as the usual crock pot. It's a stock pot, "fast" slow/cooker, slow cooker, steamer, hot cereal maker, and yogurt maker. What I like is the porcelain insert is ultra pure, with just a water glaze, so there are NO heavy metals that might leach into the food.

eta: this was my birthday present from DH :weee

tortoise likes this.
  9. Dec 15, 2017
    NH Homesteader

Umm I have an electric pressure cooker I've used like twice, then I lost the cord... But I think I can make yogurt in it too! What? That's the craziest thing I've heard in a while and I must go find out more. I am no help but I'm glad you posted this thread! :lol:

10. Dec 15, 2017
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

I had never heard of the Instant pot until a couple days ago and I think I read it here. I looked it up but haven't investigated thoroughly - however - it might be something I NEEEEEEED! I'll investigate further at some point.

tortoise and NH Homesteader like this.