Instant Pot?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
:celebrate:ep

Have you ever had a problem with farm eggs where you just c.a.n.n.o.t. peel a hard boiled farm egg? I haven't had hard boiled eggs for years since we couldn't find a solution to the problem.

Instant Pot hard boiled eggs. Peeled shells off easiest I've ever experienced with any egg/method. Shocked.

Y'all need one of these.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My yogurt failed. I probably should know better than to use really really old (expired) yogurt for starter culture, but I tried it. Instant Pot kept it nice and cozy all night. I dumped it after 12 hours, looked like I'd expect yogurt to look after 2 hours incubation. I will try again with a new culture.

My house is a mess and I've made too much food. I might try mac n cheese in the pot anyway because I can.

If this thread inspires anyone to shop, here's a moneysaving tip: the Instant Pot model I wanted was out of stock everywhere (apparently it's a hot item for Christmas gifts). I found one used on Amazon sold by "Amazon Warehouse Deals". I bought something used from Amazon Warehouse Deals in the past and it was new in package - never opened. For $30 less on the Instant Pot and not having to wait a few weeks on backordered, I decided to try buying used. The outer box was damaged - had been opened and taped back together. Everything inside was new, never unpacked. All the accessory bags were still sealed. Winning!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Saved me a ton of space. I got rid of the rice cooker (same size), crock pot, and yogurt maker. Space is a huge deal in our tiny kitchen and I'd been wanting a pressure cooker.

The pressure canner is too big for cooking anything in.

I've been doing a lot of pot roasts in it. One a week. And on the bonus side it doesn't heat the house up really. I also don't have to keep as close of an eye on it as I do the stove.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never even heard of an instant pot. I am searching for a yogurt maker for milking season though....

How do you burn things in a crockpot? That's like a whole new talent!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had never heard of the Instant pot until a couple days ago and I think I read it here. I looked it up but haven't investigated thoroughly - however - it might be something I NEEEEEEED! I'll investigate further at some point.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I tested out the 180 degree pasteurize function to make EGGNOG. So much easier than stovetop! And I didn't feel physically terrible after making it. winning!

I tried whole "boiled" potatoes. Super easy. No need to chop potatoes, no worry about a pot boiling over, and I could make a bigger batch than on the stovetop. Turn it on and forget it. I made a big bowl of mashed potatoes. :love

I have an attempt at hard-boiled eggs going. I might try a batch of yogurt yet tonight.

I have no idea who is going to eat all this food! :gig

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not to high Jack the thread, it sounds like an awesome appliance, but none of you put vinegar in the boiling water when u boil eggs?

My wife boils eggs laid same day and they peel super easy without damage. I don't know how she does it but she does use vinegar. An old woman told her how.

Dani4Hedgies

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
love our instant pot too
easy yummy mac and cheese recipe:
1 bag 16 oz of any kind of pasta noodles
1 can evaporated milk
1/2 stick of butter
4 cups or a 32oz container of Broth/Stock/water whatever you have on hand
16-24 oz of shredded cheese (mix it up with different kinds and add until it looks creamy cheese for you

directions:
Pour stock/water into Instant Pot
Add bag of noodles
and butter

Set your Instant to Rice or 6 min option seal and walk away

Once you hear it beep release the steam and wait a couple mins

Open add evaporated milk and cheese mix and enjoy SOO GOOD!!!!