Instant Pot?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just haven't bothered yet. But if the thing can make yogurt I'll order a cord today! Lol I'll have to find out...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My yogurt failed. I probably should know better than to use really really old (expired) yogurt for starter culture, but I tried it. Instant Pot kept it nice and cozy all night. I dumped it after 12 hours, looked like I'd expect yogurt to look after 2 hours incubation. I will try again with a new culture.

My house is a mess and I've made too much food. I might try mac n cheese in the pot anyway because I can.

If this thread inspires anyone to shop, here's a moneysaving tip: the Instant Pot model I wanted was out of stock everywhere (apparently it's a hot item for Christmas gifts). I found one used on Amazon sold by "Amazon Warehouse Deals". I bought something used from Amazon Warehouse Deals in the past and it was new in package - never opened. For $30 less on the Instant Pot and not having to wait a few weeks on backordered, I decided to try buying used. The outer box was damaged - had been opened and taped back together. Everything inside was new, never unpacked. All the accessory bags were still sealed. Winning!

20chicks

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I had never heard of the Instant pot until a couple days ago and I think I read it here. I looked it up but haven't investigated thoroughly - however - it might be something I NEEEEEEED! I'll investigate further at some point.
What I like about the Instant Pot is that it can replace multiple small appliances. What I don't like is the size of it. The outside compared to the holding capacity. It didn't seem worth it to me. I still think I want a pressure cooker though.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I loooooove mine. I purposely bought the 6 quart since there's only two of us here most of the time. But, I do have a large pressure canner that I can cook in if I want to do something big. I bought my daughter an 8 quart for Christsmas. She has a large family.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Saved me a ton of space. I got rid of the rice cooker (same size), crock pot, and yogurt maker. Space is a huge deal in our tiny kitchen and I'd been wanting a pressure cooker.

The pressure canner is too big for cooking anything in.

I've been doing a lot of pot roasts in it. One a week. And on the bonus side it doesn't heat the house up really. I also don't have to keep as close of an eye on it as I do the stove.

Dani4Hedgies

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
love our instant pot too
easy yummy mac and cheese recipe:
1 bag 16 oz of any kind of pasta noodles
1 can evaporated milk
1/2 stick of butter
4 cups or a 32oz container of Broth/Stock/water whatever you have on hand
16-24 oz of shredded cheese (mix it up with different kinds and add until it looks creamy cheese for you

directions:
Pour stock/water into Instant Pot
Add bag of noodles
and butter

Set your Instant to Rice or 6 min option seal and walk away

Once you hear it beep release the steam and wait a couple mins

Open add evaporated milk and cheese mix and enjoy SOO GOOD!!!!