Introduction & Uses for Old Tires??

Hamptons6

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Yup, it happens just like that. I am now the proud owner... er ...I mean I am now owned by two cute baby goats :rolleyes:
besides the multitude of chickens, two cats, one dog and a rabbit. I think sheep are next on my list :lol:

I remember people making old tires into planters. They used to cut them in such a way that the tire would end up looking like a flower. The neighbors would paint them white.

I have seen them used as retaining walls and as steps.

I plan on using one to hold the goats water bucket and burying one or two for the goats play gym as Free did.

Free those goat pics are priceless. You should submit that last one for POW

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Please explain the potato stack to me

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mackay said:
Please explain the potato stack to me
For potatoes...I layed down heavy cardboard...like 2 layers, then put on 2 tires...and started with a layer of mulch, then topsoil to the top of the second tire. put in your potatoe starts....as they grow, add another tire, and mulch/topsoil....keep this going untill your potatoes bloom...I was able to stack 5 tires. When "digging" time comes, just start pulling the tires off...and there ya go, potatoes! Easy to get to..and the tires are reusable.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just got a huge old tractor tire. My neighbor told me that they make great tomato beds cause they keep the soil warmer

GardeningJones

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Ok those goat pics are way cute and I hope my teenage daughter doenst see them (we just got chicks, no goats for a while I hope). So this is a boring answer but we have a great dane/yellow lab mix rescued puppy and we use old tires to hold his water and food dishes, so he doesn't knock them over.
It really does work, but you would need two large dogs for four tires. ;-)
~GJ

krazeepolack

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Tire's, tire's, TIRE's!!!! Tire's EVERYWHERE!!!!!:barnie :he We bought 20 acres a couple years ago (worthwhile pricing) :ya There are @ LEAST 1,000 tires surrounding the property. (slovenly looking property line)??? (emphasis on @ LEAST) I have no idea how, why, or when they were placed here, but, w/that many, I'd have the largest numbers of potato, tomato planters, or goat gym's you could imagine. Any worthwhile cause's you might need tires for, we have them for the taking. Even the EPA does not seem concerned about this. :bow I'm too old to build a perimeter fence out of them, & there are too many to fashion into planters or whatever!! Any idea's/suggestion's welcome!! Hauling them to a dump would require a huge expenditure, IF they would even allow them. Woe is me! :barnie :barnie Woe is me!