Introduction & Uses for Old Tires??

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Someone around here had a similar problem and listed them in the free section of Craigslist. Problem I see is, they said you had to take something like 100 minimum at a time -- who can do that?

But if you get some pics of tire projects and ideas and offer them free, you might be able to chip away at them.

Around here the swings where they cut the tire to look kinda like a riding horse are popular. Someone mentioned the planters. If I wasn't worried about the chemicals, I'd definitely be interested in a bunch of them to create warm raised beds -- either as a bunch of small round beds, or what I'd prolly do is arrange a bunch into a large rectangle and fill each tire as it's own round bed, then the big center with larger plants. That could actually make a nice ornamental planting area and use up at least 35-50 or so. If I was SELLING ornamentals I might be willing to do it, but my ground is pretty well planned out to be dedicated to food-bearing plants.

I wonder if those companies that produce stuff from ground-up tires might take them? My guess is they are probably paid to accept clean worn tires from commercial places though, like tire stores?

You might call local tire stores and ask if they have ideas?

Collector

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My dad used tires for tomato rings. Lay the tire down in the bed plant your tomato plant in it fill inside of tire with water and let it grow. It keeps the roots warmer at nite and cooler during the day. And when it is really hot the water inside the tire radiates up the plant. It really makes them grow well.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Depending on what state you live in, you can make a variation on the following.

I stack two tires up, then place a layer of leaves in the bottom, and inside the tire walls.
Then I add a layer of fresh hot manure followed by more leaves or old hay.
Then a layer of dirt near the top.
Since we live in a cold state, I leave the tires black.
In hotter states, it is best to spray paint the tires white.

I then plant 3 squash plants in the tires.
Warmer areas you can just plant the seeds.

Oberhaslikid

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Does noone do this anymore?
http://wuvie.net/tireplanter.htm
When my boys came and said Mom Iam bored,This is what mom had them doing.
Ok this is what Mom did with tires. I placed old tire in goat barn and filled bottom and insides with hay or straw and then placed a second tire and stuffed the inside walls with hay or straw and set my water bucket inside the stuffed tires to keep water from freezing and the goats didnt knock the bucket over.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Oberhaslikid said:
Does noone do this anymore?
http://wuvie.net/tireplanter.htm
When my boys came and said Mom Iam bored,This is what mom had them doing.
Ok this is what Mom did with tires. I placed old tre in goat arn and filled bottom and insides with hay or straw and then placed a second tire and stuffed te inside walls with hay or straw and set my water bucket inside the stuffed tires to keep water from freezing and the goats didnt knock the bucket over.
I used to see those all over the place, when I was growing up. :lol:

That's a cool site.

nmred

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have been a major scrounge/recycler/junk collector since I got enough land to store my stuff!! One of the things I really enjoy doing is making useful items out of old tires.
A long time ago, in a state far, far away, I went to a home-show type class on making things from, you guessed it, old tires. The man teaching the class was a great tinkerer, thinker, and all around nice guy. His name is Paul Farber, from Utah. He showed us how to make all sorts of things from tires, and how easy it is. Well, that was all I needed. I started making tire planters, tire horse swings, garden edging, etc.

My property now has so many tires that should, by state law, have a permit to store them!! All of this to say, go to his web site for books and much more information on recycling tires. His web site is tirecrafting.com Paul and his wife Joan are very friendly and willing to help.

eggrookie2010

Power Conserver
Reaction score
They are magical tomato rings as stated before. Besides..oddly enough...there are certain bugs that will NOT climb over that tire to eat your plant! It keeps water right where you want it and it does keep those roots at the right temp.

I have several tires all sizes (including a tractor tire) the boys climb all over like the goats.

I love the potato idea. Im trying potatoes for the first time and Ill use this.

I am pretty sure I need goats. I need to get fort knox fence first.

Latest posts