Irene's Thread

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
It's raining here but I believe it's the storm before the storm if that makes sense. I heard at the Fair that the State roads will be closed to non emergency traffic as of midnight but don't know if that's true yet. The fair rides had all been taken down and while most events were still going on there were few people in attendence. It only rained for a little bit this morning but people obviously thought they had more important things to do!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
All the major roads heading towards the shore have been blocked off. Instead, they have all traffic heading AWAY from the shore. We're still just getting rain and some light wind, nothing major.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
First fatality has been reported in inland NC :( A man went outside for whatever reason and got hit and killed by a falling tree limb. Please stay indoors and protected folks :hugs
I'm now reading that there are three fatalities in NC but don't have details.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yeah, the hurricanes are wicked but the tornados can sometimes be more deadly. When I was a kid, my parents evacuated with us b/c of the tornados the hurricanes created. (We were a bit too inland to get the flooding/winds.)

Hope everyone is safe.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Wannabefree said:
First fatality has been reported in inland NC :( A man went outside for whatever reason and got hit and killed by a falling tree limb. Please stay indoors and protected folks :hugs
Weather Channel reported that one man was killed when he was on the way to his barn to feed the animals. One of the other was in a vehicle.

That's all DH needed to hear and has already warned me that I am not to go out to check animals when it hits here.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When Ivan hit here I was in and out of the house most of the night going to check the horses and the barn (just put in $300 worth of hay). The last trip I made the huge pecan tree had been split in half and blocked my path - I had a flash of genius and decided maybe I shouldn't be out in the dark with over 100mph winds. Just sayin' LOL

Stay safe and indoors!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Wannabefree said:
First man was hit by a tree limb while outside. that was inland NC.

Another man had a heart attack while boarding up, and his widow is staying behind now. :hit

A child age is sketchy between 9-11 died in Newport News Virginia when a tree limb came into his apartment :(

That is all Fox has reported thus far. This is such a big storm. They say to expect 17 inches of rain on an already saturated NE area :barnie There will likely be a good bit of flooding. One area of NC already has about 2 feet of water in the town. :/

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Just heard there was a tornado around Norfolk, VA too, no news on any fatalities. Hopefully, there won't be.