Is anyone else concerned?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well I have to say as a Canadian...I know wayyyy more about what goes on in the US than I do about Canada. I have no idea what is going on here...do we even have politics?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
one's country should be top priority in their lives....understanding their country is key to understanding global happenings too.

I live in the good old USA and the good old USA is my priority.

Sure I watch BBC and more.....but my country is first. As others who live elsewhere should do.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Our politics are very minimal compared to the US. And online it seems there are few Canadians that speak of politics really...most of the sites I visit are of US majority and you guys are very much into your politics. :) Maybe I should rephrase that to say that I know how you guys all feel about politics heehee.
Canadians just seem to shut up and take it...

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Just because we don't teach our kids cultural issues about some countries doesn't mean our schools are bad. Give it a few more years though. There's a lot of effort being put into getting rid of public schools. So they will be taking a serious dip, very soon.

As for changes. The overall World is changing dramatically. Most countries are doing much better than they were just 20 years ago. global climate is changing and the effects may or may not be showing up now. I doubt that the earthquake that just happened was related to global climate changes. The weather last summer and this winter may have been related. It can always be explained away by the fact that sometimes it's just like that. If it continues as many people have predicted, then it would be an indicator of change due to the overall average temperature rising.

People being jerks these days is just because of hard times and the media putting out so much garbage to make us think it's all hopeless. I think the recession was largely fed by the media. People stop spending money because they are afraid. Then businesses that depend on discretionary spending fold up. Figures go up and a real serious looking guy comes on and gives the facts and maybe says some institute predicts this. Then one media outlet brings on an "Expert" and he says whatever he's supposed to say depending on what kind of controls is wanted. People react and well there's just a lot of unhappy people. Some with a real reason. Others with a manufactured reason. Life goes on. Same ole same ole. Business as usual.

I am hoping for the rapture though. I could use a new car.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh dont get me worng, i dont belive even remotly in the rapture, end of days, worlds end ect...
i do belive that the myans saw something comming in 2012, i dont for the life of me belive the hype that they thought it was the end of the world...
instead simply a "big change" it could be economic, climate, or it could simply be that they just figured "hey if were still around in 2012 well add more pages to the calender...lol.

i do pay attention to WORLD news and history (yet very little to american news) i was born and raised in the uk, we always used to joke that our country is so small we had to bring in news from other countries to fill the gap :p
but in reality, no they dont teach MUCH about american history in the uk (thouhg its a damned site mroe than they teach in american schools about the brits beyond the whole tea deal (what a waste of good tea...)

and i can say australia and its history is (or at least was) widley taught being the whole british proson colony history lol, and as a whole, the country isnt prone to flooding on a normal basis lol.

mas bird and fish deaths, yes, though their last explanation about fireworks boggles my mind...at least be creative, lol.

but NO i do not in any way shape or form belive "the end is nigh" more that mother nature and karma can be a bitch, and if she does decide to have a temper tantrum...

i also feel there is "something" going on beyond the everyday mundane, it just seems to me that theres more than usual going on in a given time span...
end of the world? probably not, massive global climate change? probably not anytime soon...but theres definatly a slight disturbance in the force that makes me want to just take a few extra precaustions on a long term scale...

i personally think zombie a-cock-a-blitz or great depression are more likely than "the end of the world"...
but to say everythign is normal and hunky dory...i dunno if i quite belive that either lol.

as a side note, im only 26 lol, so yes im a youngun! relitivly speaking of course.

in terms of the ressecion...
i for one stopped spending money because i dont have any to spend...especially at 3.79 a gallon!!!

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
That's a good way to describe it. A disturbance in the Force. I don't believe in the rapture either. I just always laugh when I see one of those "In case of rapture this car will be driverless" bumper stickers. As for you being 26. When I was 26 the USSR still existed and we had a small worry about WWIII. Made for a lot of books and movies. The big difference is back then the media was regulated and had to print or say the news. Commentary was required to be disclosed as commentary only. Things have changed on that end and the results are showing.

Chicken Littles everywhere you look.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Weather has NOTHING to do with earthquakes. The tetonic plates are shifting as they have done for thousand of years. Was it haiti that had a huge earthquake? That plate shifted, which made another plate shift, which kinda has a jengo/domino effect.

And FC I agree to a point. Its good to know what goes on in our country, but do we need to know about Charlie Sheen? No. Take him out of the freaking news and tell us about australia or something.

Its sad that I only know what's going on in Africa because of People reporting on singers regretting singing for that country and instead donating concert funds to charity.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The tetonic plates are shifting as they have done for thousand of years.
or billions even :D

I also like the term "disturbance in the force". That works!

As for the rapture bumper stickers, I saw someone with a sticker that said "In case of rapture, can I have all your stuff?"

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
and i can say australia and its history is (or at least was) widley taught being the whole british proson colony history lol, and as a whole, the country isnt prone to flooding on a normal basis lol.
That is entirely untrue though. The recent flooding in Queensland or wherever is on the scale of every 50 or so years -- I believe they had one like it back in '73? -- and vast interior swaths of Australia typically flood (like for thousands of square miles or more) every 20-100 years.

i also feel there is "something" going on beyond the everyday mundane, it just seems to me that theres more than usual going on in a given time span...
What decade would you point to as notably "more boring" (or whatever you want to call it :)) than this one, then? (Serious question -- which one?)

The thing is, we forget a whole lot of the stuff that was going on in past decades that interested or worried us just as much THEN as current things do NOW.

Pat