Is Irene New York City's "Katrina"

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
FarmerJamie said:
The History Channel did a show on this very possibility. It is about a once every hundred years event, in the 1930's was the closest thing to it. I would hope NY'ers (including the authorities) would learn the lessons from Katrina to get out of danger first and not sit around and wait.

I think you can watch the show online. The show talks about the various factors that need to come into play for the worst-case scenario.
If it does happen, it could be 10 times as bad as Katrina. I'd be getting out of Dodge ASAP.
No argument here, I agree, the harbor is like a funnel - with the right tide, wind, and storm surge combination, an epic disaster could be created. We'll see how the governor and the mayor of NYC handles this, I guess. I wish the storm would just blow out to sea.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I know a few years ago, my sister lost power from a hurricane, and their power was out for a couple of days. I doubt that she owns a generator. I'm wondering how this will affect her. She lives in CT, 2 blocks from Long Island Sound.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
"flood the subways"

Have you ever seen the movie The Day After Tomorrow? It's about global warming and the North Atlantic Current changing directions and causing another ice age. Anyways, a wall of water hit NY. All of the underground mass transit flooded. There were rats everywhere. :sick

Hang tight all of you. You are the most prepared people and will fare much better than most. Be safe.

g

Damummis, where are you? :fl

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a friend on Staten Island. She is a prepper but she lives alone. Maybe I should tell her to bug!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Might not be a bad idea. I know I'm glad we already have a generator. I was in Harbor Freight today and people were in there looking for them. Needless to say, they're out of them.

I did hear that one store got a whole truckload of generators in because of the storm. From what I understand, they sold out of them pretty quickly.

We have our big generator that we use for the house, but I also have a smaller one, 2000 watts, that I use for my electric chain saw. I'm thinking of taking it to my son's tomorrow so he'd have some power.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is exactly what my extended family needed to start finally prepping, they are buying like crazy...:weee

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
"flood the subways"

Have you ever seen the movie The Day After Tomorrow? It's about global warming and the North Atlantic Current changing directions and causing another ice age. Anyways, a wall of water hit NY. All of the underground mass transit flooded. There were rats everywhere. :sick

Hang tight all of you. You are the most prepared people and will fare much better than most. Be safe.

g

Damummis, where are you? :fl
I am on an island in the Gulf of Maine. East wall of hurricanes are the worst.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Have you ever seen the movie The Day After Tomorrow?
one of my fav movies.. except we like to call it "The Day After Yesterday, Three Days From Tuesday"
;-)

Theo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My son is in New York City--he and probably most New Yorkers are not taking this very seriously. It's driving me crazy. New Yorkers are not accustomed to hurricanes. Somehow he thinks that because Irene will probably downgrade to level 1, that it's somehow not a serious storm ... as if 85 mph winds are not particularly scary at all.

The Weather Channel website has some good storm pages, including charts showing areas that will be affected by the storm surge, easily the most underrated but very deadly aspect of a hurricane. The surge will probably not inundate all of Manhatten, but it looks like you will be able to surf in Battery Park.

They are not evacuating right away because that is expensive and causes a lot of chaos. If you evacuate way in advance and the storm peters out, people lose faith in the system. The City of NY is waiting until Sat. morning to decide whether to close public transport. I hear Long Island is being evacuated now, though

Stay safe, everyone!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
On the bright side, if the storm hugs the coast, most of the tornadoes generated should be in the northeast quadrant and offshore. :fl