Is Irene New York City's "Katrina"

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm on an island and in the possble path of this storm. The great thing about this storm is all the summer people went home early and now want me to secure there property. EXTRA MONEY!! YES!!!.... If it hits us ...good. I'll have work for 2 weeks and push my other work up into the winter. I WON AGAIN!!... YES!!! We're prepared. It's not going to take a hurricane to get us off the island. We live on a high area. Evec is just as bad as being a refugee in my book. No thank you.. I'll just do some extra checking of supplies and secure properly. :) No different than knowin the enemy is coming and preparing as well.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
On the bright side, if the storm hugs the coast, most of the tornadoes generated should be in the northeast quadrant and offshore. :fl
Huh? What???? Tornadoes in my backyard AGAIN???? :th

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugs to everyone on the east coast...you guys are sure getting hit with natural disasters. Whatever you all do.....be safe! :hugs

(I wonder how my brother & his wife are doing with all that's been going on...they moved to NC about two years ago. :fl )

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Good luck up there everybody! I grew up in Fla and if I was in NY near the coast now - I'd say it's time to bug out. I hope y'all stay safe.

The subways would be a terrible place to be in a storm surge, so I hope they close them till they know what's gonna happen.

S

sunsaver

"We rode out the storm of "82", so we'll be okay."

Really? What if this is a 100 year storm? Still arrogant? Bug out and live to fight another day. But don't expect me to cry for the grateful dead.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm hoping KN is going to be OK. She and her husband are supposed to be on their way home from visiting her very sick FIL. It's a 15 hour drive-up the east coast.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
THEFAN said:
I'm on an island and in the possble path of this storm. The great thing about this storm is all the summer people went home early and now want me to secure there property. EXTRA MONEY!! YES!!!.... If it hits us ...good. I'll have work for 2 weeks and push my other work up into the winter. I WON AGAIN!!... YES!!! We're prepared. It's not going to take a hurricane to get us off the island. We live on a high area. Evec is just as bad as being a refugee in my book. No thank you.. I'll just do some extra checking of supplies and secure properly. :) No different than knowin the enemy is coming and preparing as well.
Just down the coast from you guys. More work for us too...

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
On the bright side, if the storm hugs the coast, most of the tornadoes generated should be in the northeast quadrant and offshore. :fl
Uh, that's not the bright side for some of us.... Better for the masses in NYC, maybe.
I have friends in the Village. They are headed for their summer home Upstate.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am watching the news. They are broadcasting from a gas station. The line is freaking ridiculous. I am glad I have at least 1 gas can in case I ever need to bug out. I have another one, but I need to dig it out of the shed. Better do that when I get paid next.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
k0xxx said:
Uh, that's not the bright side for some of us.... Better for the masses in NYC, maybe.
I have friends in the Village. They are headed for their summer home Upstate.
While it is true that it may not be any comfort to some, the majority of people do live within the coast, and thus hopefully less danger to the greater population. That was my only intent. Anyone on the barrier islands and those that would end up on the east side of the storm should definitely leave if possible.

WZ, it amazes me that anytime there is a prediction of a storm making landfall anywhere, the majority of people all wait to fill up their vehicles until the same time. It's like marathon runners waiting for the starting gun. We would always fill up several 5 gallon cans at the start of hurricane season, and keep the tank topped at the first mention that a storm may head our way. But even in areas that deal with storms every year, the majority wait. Odd.